Finally Bit the Bullet!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeM87, Jul 10, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Finally bit the bullet over the weekend and purchased an iMac 21.5". Only got chance to set it up today and so far so good i have not noticed any problems what so ever.

So after spending some time on the forum last week reading about issues people was having i'm just wondering if there is anything that i should be aware of.

I have not noticed any problems with the screen, no dead pixels (which was a worry) but i was told i could return if i had any. Also no yellow shading on the screen.

Extremely happy so far already own a MacBook pro looking forward to installing OSX lion when its released too which am hoping is this week.

I personally think i got a really good deal from Apple too. 21.5" 2.5 i5 with student discount as well as the £65 iTunes voucher and a free wireless printer and 3yr warranty all for £920! This is what made me decide more on getting one as it seemed such a good deal with a free upgrade the lion too.

Anyone disagree on the deal or think i could of found better?

Finally has anyone ever used their Apple Protection Plan i thought it was best to get this incase i encounter any problems.
    iPhone 4 16gb :apple:

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Congrats! As long as it's working properly, I wouldn't worry too much about anything.

I've used the protection plan once on my 24" iMac. But it turned out to be not a problem with the computer itself per se. One day I heard this loud grinding sound coming from it and I got scared it was the HDD. but it ran just fine. So my next thought was a bearing in one of the fans. I took it in and when they took it apart, they found a dead spider inside one if the fans. The sipder was heavy enough to throw the balance of the fan off which created the noise. They replaced all three fans anyway and I've been happy ever since.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Congrats on your new iMac!

I've never had to use AC on my iMac (which is now OOW anyway), but I had to use it a couple times on my MacBook Pro (left and right fans both died, on separate occasions, and I think one of them died twice). They were always very helpful (took it to an Apple Store here in Maryland.

Back in 2004 I had to use AC on my iPod and that was a pretty terrible experience, mostly because I had to do the whole thing over the phone though. But in the end my iPod was replaced (though the new one I got died about 30 days after the end of the 90-day warranty (since the original warranty had expired). The people I dealt with on the phone were always great, just doing everything in the mail was tough.

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

About the best deal you can get. Add more ram for cheap perhaps. Congrats!

6. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

thanks guys loving it so far. I'm in no rush to upgrade the RAM when i do it will probably be to 8GB but it wont be for a while yet.
    :)
    iPhone 16gb :apple:

7. claimed4all macrumors 6502

12gb!. Just buy to 4gb sticks, works well with the factory 4gbs and you get 12gbs of RAM. I did it, but my no means did I need to, not sure if I notice a difference.

8. Dkrogh macrumors member

Congrats on the purchase. you could restore the machine with your snow leopard disks to free up a couple GB on the HD.

I am enjoying my 27" iMac that I got this past week as well.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There is definitely a difference between 4 and 12 GBs of RAM. Maybe not if all you do is watch Youtube videos and check email, but scrolling through a large iPhoto library should never have problems with 12 (while it might with 4) and the computer should be much more responsive when you have a lot of programs open or have had your computer open for 3-4 weeks (I notice my iMac slowing down after it's been on 20+ days).

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your purchase. I recently got a 21.5" iMac myself and love it. No screen issues so far either.

11. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations to you on your acquiring a new iMac! Please let us know your new findings with your iMac.

12. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

i'm trying not to install much on it with the release of Lion which I hope will be this week sometime. Mainly just been getting use to the track pad which i opted for as i already have the mouse which i use with my MacBook Pro when using photoshop etc.

There are currently two things that i am wondering;

1) If I am going to be using the Mac every day or every couple of days should i just leave it in sleep as it's not going to be moved around like my MacBook

2) Probably a nood question but is there an option to leave the computer running with the screen switched off for when am downloading etc?

Thanks guys.
    iPhone 4 16gb 2010 :apple:

13. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

1) Sure, but for extended periods, you can turn it off if you like. There's no harm either way.

2) Press CTRL-SHIFT-EJECT. Any mouse or keyboard input will turn it back on.

14. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Thanks alot :)