Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
So after waiting since before the penryn updates i have finally taken the plunge and picked up the blackbook and an ipod touch today. I finally had a moment of clarity and realized the free 8 gig ipod touch is more valuable to me than the new features in the next macbook. I must admit though getting use to OSX is a bit for difficult than i anticipated. But so far i have been very pleased using this gorgeous machine. For anyone who is going to school and thinking about buying now and getting the ipod, i would totally suggest buying now. I think the black plastic looks very attractive plus the free ipod is worth more to me than any improvements in the next one. My biggest concern was the lcd which to me actually seems excellent.

I do have one question though,

Does the new battery gradually go to its full capacity after a few charge/discharge cycles?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
First off congratulations on the purchase.

Now the question: Not always; it doesn't always start at 100%; it might stay at 9x% for a long time; if it ever falls below 80%, with less than 1 year and 300 cycles, Apple will replace it for free. They might replace it anyways now, but no guarantees.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
By the way always make sure that when you buy a new computer from Apple to follow the recommended calibration procedures. As well as make sure you do it every couple of months. This will allow you to get the most out of your battery. (LINK)

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
have fun with it thats all i can say, you will learn about it the more you use it. Things are getting so much more natural for me on mine.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
actually, there is no need to calibrate lithium ion batteries, it's not like the old NiMH rechargeables. The Li-Ion process improved so that you need to fully charge and fully discharge for every usage.. My battery came with 50% charge, and I just plugged in the adapter to charge. Once it's charged (100%) just leave it plugged in unless you're taking it with you... Every time the battery goes below around 50%, thats counted as 1 cycle. Batteries usually have 2000 cycles (Apple ones) before they degrade.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
If such things matter to you, the best way to clean the BlackBook is Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It takes two seconds and keep it looking perfect. Also, get a skin for the trackpad, you'll be glad you did. Other than that, good choice- you're going to love it.

nickbr00tality

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
i got mine about a month ago and i couldn't be happier. didn't need the touch, so i gave it to my mom. ha...and i got used to os x pretty quickly actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.