Finally decided to JBreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ka1zersoze, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ka1zersoze macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Through the stickies and the many threads on this site, I have research as much as I can and after much deliberation I am going to give it a go. I just want to run through the steps just to make sure I am doing the right thing and also have a couple of queries.

I understand that since I am on baseband 01.10.01, it is not possible to SIM unlock!

I am close to the end of my contract and can get the SIM unlock for free.
    Should i wait and get the SIM unlock before I Jailbreak?
    Would it still be possible for my service carrier to SIM unlock once I have Jailbroken?

Device details:
    Iphone 4
    Version 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Baseband 04.10.01

User Ifaith to backup the SSHS blob from iphone
    Jailbreak the iPhone using www.jailbreakme.com straight from Safari

Many Thanks

2. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

You can jailbreak now and the carrier will still be able to unlock at a later date.

3. ka1zersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Seanwebb68..

Many thanks. That's exactly what i was hoping for..Will have a go at jbreak tonight :D

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I would suggest redsn0w instead of jailbreakme :) use ifaith and back up ur shsh without fail..

5. ka1zersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Abs_P

Many thanks for your suggestion. Any reason for the preferance of redsn0w rather over jailbreakme.

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Redsn0w is older.I have never had any problems using it . Jailbreakme is equally good .. Infact Much easier to use but it sometimes gives a spinwheel on homescreen after respring .. :)

7. Hotppcchick macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oops. I used jailbreakme before ifaith. Am i in trouble if I need to restore?

8. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

No problem there ;)

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It doesn't matter whether you jailbreak or are carrier unlocked first, although once you are unlocked you may need to restore for the unlock to take effect (this is normal). You said already that you have your SHSH so it doesn't matter.

I would personally use Redsn0w over JBme because of the respring circle on the springboard after a respring but that's just a minor annoyance and not really a serious flaw with the jb.

You're good. :)

10. Lurdle macrumors newbie

11. ka1zersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Finally jbreak my iphone over the week-end and went with redsn0w as recommended. Had a bit of a scare as phone went into restore mode when trying to backup with ifaith and just had a black screen!!!manage to sort it out with recboot.

Many thanks for all ur advice

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I jb'ed with jailbreakme.com as well.

I have same software and firmware as you.

Should I use iFaith?

13. ka1zersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mpossoff,

Yes you can use ifaith or Tiny Umbrella to save SHSH. The advantage of using ifaith is that it allows you to save it to your PC.

On another note..i have another query to ask...I keep reading about "comex’s PDF Patcher 2"...Do i need to install this?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Actully no IFaith is designed to work with the limera1n expoit which is used by Redsn0w but not Jailbreakme. So I would not use it on yours. Also some people have experienced major problems with IFaith.this could be why. IH8sn0w does some good stuff but also some bad hacks as well.