Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Geez, people are vigorously defending the iPhone. If he think the iPhone is better for him he'll come back if not he won't. No big deal. I love my iPhone but as a tech nerd I know there are plenty of very basic features the S3 has the iPhone doesn't. A lot of cool features it doesn't do either.

Someone mentioned forgetting their ATV remote. If the ATV is JB'd there is an app for android called "Remote for Apple TV". You can also stream to ATV from an Android device with multiple players.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Hi I recently done the same and posted this on another thread

I was going to start another thread but there are so many already and I just wanted to share some basic thoughts and experiences as someone who moved from the iPhone after 4 years to the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Reason I moved from iOS to Android
I was pretty underwhelmed with the iOS6 update and felt it was time to try something new. I deceided to wait until I saw the iPhone 5 unveiled before i decided to move on as I didn't feel there was enough of an upgrade for me to part with £600 from the iPhone 4.

The Phone
The S3 seems well built, it seems solid and the materials don't feel as cheap as some make out. It's not got the same build quality of an iPhone but at the same time if something goes wrong like the back cover snaps for example you can just buy another one and replace the part thats broken.

The Screen

Probably my favourite thing about this phone, the screen is amazing. I have my screen quite bright so the colours just come out right at you. Watching videos and looking at Hi Res pictures is amazing.

Audio

It's louder and clearer than my iPhone 4 thats for sure I haven't heard any hiss or crackling at all from the speakers. Talking and listening on a phone call is also very clear.

OS

I'm currently on ICS 4.04 and waiting for the Jelly Bean update to come through. I haven't yet expericed lag or crashes from the OS I will see if this changes as the phone gets used more. I like the customization of the OS, I'm not taking about neon coloured keyboards either. It's small things that make the phone easier to use and I often ask myself why this wasn't implamented on iOS (such as changing the default browser). The notifications are also on a different level with the logo of the notification being on the bar at the top of the screen and an LED flashing so you don't even need to lift your phone to see if you have one.

The App store

If you are addicted to apps like me and worried if the Android App store will have the same apps as the one on iOS don't be, I have yet to come accross an app that I couldn't get on my iPhone and if you did there will probably be an adequate replacement. Browsing the store its self takes a bit getting used to though.

Battery Life
At first the Battery life was poor but that was because i couldn't put the phone down, now that my usage has gone down to a more normal level for me I need 1 charge per day the same as my iPhone 4 although when charging time comes its about 10% lower than what the iPhone was.

Faults

I haven't come accross anything major though one bug was a bit frustrating. I was playing about with S Voice and asked it to do an internet search, once the search was completed I closed the tab and browser and the next few times I opened the Browser it had the search i completed with S voice as the page i opened my browser with.

Do i miss iOS?
I'm not completetly done with iOS, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 as an iPod touch type device and still enjoy using it. There isn't anything on my iPhone that i can't do on my S3 though.

I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts if you have any questions feel free to ask.

If your like me you will be happy with your purchase :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Good luck to you, but after the shininess wears off, you'll be missing iOS.

Between the force closes, battery pulls, and there not being an app for that on android, it gets old fast. And just wait till you realize Samsung has abandoned support for your device after a few weeks.

But good luck to you just the same. It's only natural to want to dabble for variety, which they say is the spice of life.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
And just wait till you realize Samsung has abandoned support for your device after a few weeks.

I really enjoy my S3, but I will say I do not like not having the latest and greatest operating system until months after the carriers get it from google and tweak it and then release it. Abandoned is the wrong word though, the phones are just slower to get the updated operating system.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Between the force closes, battery pulls, and there not being an app for that on android, it gets old fast. And just wait till you realize Samsung has abandoned support for your device after a few weeks.

But good luck to you just the same. It's only natural to want to dabble for variety, which they say is the spice of life.

Force closes don't exist over here. Only time I pulled the battery was to insert my sim and sd card. Show me some non existent apps, and more than just one or two.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I'm not a fan of the SIII, but even I can smell blatant obscurantism. Must hurt to know the SIII is doing so well, huh.

----------

Force closes don't exist over here. Only time I pulled the battery was to insert my sim and sd card. Show me some non existent apps, and more than just one or two.

Technarchy is in the habit of using straw mans. He still thinks we're debating over Android of yesteryear. And he thinks he's the best type of Apple fan when he's really the worst. (Well, maybe Bobby Corwen is one or two levels worse...)

Don't take him too seriously.

----------

Been a iphone user forever since the first iphone came out. Had every one of them including iphone5.

Obviously love everything about iPhone and iOS. But finally pulled the plug yesterday when i went with a different provider. Ordered the Samsung galaxy 3.

Main reason - kinda of bored with iOS and iphone. Want to try something new. So far i know nothing about android..but anxiously waiting for the phone to arrive..don't know how i'll feel..might lov it or hate it..

will let you know once i get it.
Has anyone switched from apple to android? any comments? feedback?

Best of luck, OP. The usability of the SIII, and of the Android platform in general, is many times that of the iPhone (I think you'll appreciate setting toggles; look into them. I also think you'll appreciate the dedicated back button and the dedicated menu button; makes life much easier).

There's a world to discover if you're willing to explore. And it sounds like you are.

And if you don't like it, that's understandable too. There are plenty of shortcomings of Android also.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I don't know who you are replying to because I have some people on ignore but they are in serious denial!! Look in the iOS section here, people selecting purchased apps in the App Store crashing the App Store. Other people moving apps on home screens causing springboard to crash. Remember when an apple server crashed and no one had wifi?!? These phone won't even work without apples backend!!

Here is a couple issues I've had.

iPhone reset half my settings then tried to teach me how to reuse the phone. How do I make folders? If I only knew!!!
de3ajuja.jpg

Return to call? I don't even have signal!!
9u2ysy5y.jpg

Phone lost half my photos
aju4upug.jpg

No worries maybe they are on my cloud...it's down, lovely
geda7aha.jpg

Can't "clear all"
4yga3u3e.jpg

These are all native iPhone apps!! Not a poorly programmed apps, which I have plenty of pics of those.

I've found VANILLA Android and native apps to be more stable then iOS. 3rd party apps are the same. It may have been worse way back when but not in my current experience. The day of the battery pull is gone, just today I had to reset my iPhone because swiping a text from the lock screen would just open the message app but not the particular person that texted me.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Been a iphone user forever since the first iphone came out. Had every one of them including iphone5.

Obviously love everything about iPhone and iOS. But finally pulled the plug yesterday when i went with a different provider. Ordered the Samsung galaxy 3.

Main reason - kinda of bored with iOS and iphone. Want to try something new. So far i know nothing about android..but anxiously waiting for the phone to arrive..don't know how i'll feel..might lov it or hate it..

Here is the ONLY things you need to know about going from Apple to Android.

The OS is NOT the same. Keep an OPEN mind and give it some time to hit the learning curve. For things that you took for granted via Apple, there ARE compatible work arounds or ways to make any Apple devices you have play nice with your phone. It took me a month to really warm up to the device and at least 2-3 to really start enjoying it.

Xda forums are a great place to go for advice, but they don't tolerate retards so do some research in the forums before you post a question.

A more user friendly starter Android forum is Android Central.

In reality, the damn phone works well as it is out of the box. I haven't rooted or flashed any ROMS and I am quite content SO FAR (until I eventually crave some radical change).

Configure the phone as you like. Remember to periodically CLOSE running apps and if you find the battery life is really sucking, get some sort of app like Juice Defender to control your Wifi (this really made a difference in my phone's battery life). I get a full day of use easily out of it and I don't throttle it by selecting the power conservation features.

One thing that kind of blows is getting a solid back up app or program so that when you finally get your phone where you want it, to back it up completely. I would ask around to see what some people recommend without having to root.

Cheers!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Why do folks come to an Apple Forum and Website to brag/discuss them switching to Android? Wouldn't you want to join an Android forum to discuss and learn about your new phone? It's like hopping in a Camaro car forum to talk about buying a Ford Mustang.

It just doesn't make sense.
Sure it does. I have both and iPhone and an Android phone. I also use both a Mac and a PC. I like OS X and Windows, too. Therefore, I'm on this forum as well as other forums.

Not everyone thinks sees in simply black vs. white. Some see the greys as well... or even in color! :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Why do folks come to an Apple Forum and Website to brag/discuss them switching to Android? Wouldn't you want to join an Android forum to discuss and learn about your new phone? It's like hopping in a Camaro car forum to talk about buying a Ford Mustang.

It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe you should read the title to this section of the forum.

Incognegro

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Maybe you should read the title to this section of the forum.

Maybe you should actually read the posts in this thread and then you would have a clue. Oh wait you edited that out. Maybe you will have a better understanding of the comment made.

Just to get you up to speed, the thread started out in iPhone forum.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know who you are replying to because I have some people on ignore but they are in serious denial!!

This is why I speak so adamantly about intellectual honesty when talking about Apple. When I got my 4S I was expecting a near-perfect, effortless, brilliant experience. Why shouldn't I? It's been touted as such by so many people.

And then the reality was drastically different. I've experienced force closes, lag, folder issues, icon issues, MAJOR keyboard issues, and it even froze on me once in a rare while. This was the super smooth super reliable iPhone experience everyone kept telling me about?

This is why people like Technarchy (who is the person the poster you quoted was replying to) and his ilk are the worst type of Apple fans. In the long run, they're only cheating themselves. iOS is where it is largely in part to people like them.

And it's a shame.

Last edited:

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada

I got an iPhone 5 and then had a flip-flop moment and bought an S3 to give it a shot. It's a beautiful device, but I just found myself missing iOS too much. And all of my friends and family are on iOS, so going Droid meant losing a lot of benefits of things like iMessage, Find my Friends, shared reminders, and now shared photo streams.

I loved that I could tweak the S3 to be whatever I wanted, and I loved the notification light. On the other hand, even after aggressive efforts to save battery life, it still seemed pretty bad compared to the iPhone 5 or even the 4s.

I finally decided to return it and stick with the 5. For me it was exactly what I needed - to take a survey of the other options out there, then convince myself definitively that I'm still happiest with iOS.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
There has been a lot of sound advice given, I can only echo that advice.

It's not iOS, dont expect it to be like it.

Bare with it, give it a chance, have it for a week to see what it's really like.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There has been a lot of sound advice given, I can only echo that advice.

It's not iOS, dont expect it to be like it.

Bare with it, give it a chance, have it for a week to see what it's really like.

Id say at least two weeks. Thats about when you get what you can do and figure some stuff out and are getting comfortable with it.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
I've come from a history of iphones.

My last iphone purchase was the iPhone4 (which I loved). I moved to another country and was contemplating on getting the iPhone 4s. But at the last second, decided to get a Galaxy s2 because it was cheaper.

For the first 2 weeks I hated it. Because I couldn't find anything and everything seemed to be too difficult to do.

But after about 2 weeks, I became accustomed to Android and after about 1 month, everything became natural to me.

With the S2, I admit I've had the phone reboot on me a number of times and have had the phone lockup (but this was more because of a few bad apps).

But with the S3 I purchased, everything has been great. No lockups, no reboots, etc.

The only complaints I have about the phone are the sub-par battery life. But I guess, it's a bit common with the Android phones. Plus, the build quality could be better (my S2 felt more solid than my S3).

But everything else has been gravy.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I had my note for nearly a month and a half. What a beautiful device. But in all honesty, android just doesn't compare to iOS.

It's nice to be able to tweak the OS till the cows come home. But at the same time, the more you do, the faster you kill the battery. If you want your battery to last, you have to kill all the neat things that make an android an android. No widgets, no wallpaper... So now you got iOS.

I did love the back button and I found myself constantly reaching for it when I got back to my iPhone.

I also dislike that once they release a device, they (usually the carriers are pretty bad once they have your money)pretty much stop supporting it right away.

At least with iOS once they release the update, younger it the same day, right from the source.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Honestly my best advice would be to go to the xda-developers forum and find the "Post your homescreen" thread in the S3 subforum for your carrier. Some of those people come up with some really creative stuff that will give you a sense of what kinds of things you can do.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've come from a history of iphones.

My last iphone purchase was the iPhone4 (which I loved). I moved to another country and was contemplating on getting the iPhone 4s. But at the last second, decided to get a Galaxy s2 because it was cheaper.

For the first 2 weeks I hated it. Because I couldn't find anything and everything seemed to be too difficult to do.

But after about 2 weeks, I became accustomed to Android and after about 1 month, everything became natural to me.

With the S2, I admit I've had the phone reboot on me a number of times and have had the phone lockup (but this was more because of a few bad apps).

But with the S3 I purchased, everything has been great. No lockups, no reboots, etc.

The only complaints I have about the phone are the sub-par battery life. But I guess, it's a bit common with the Android phones. Plus, the build quality could be better (my S2 felt more solid than my S3).

But everything else has been gravy.

Disable some bloatware you dont want thru app management and the battery will be better. My battery is really good. My phone has been on over 14 hours with Bluetooth and wi-fi on all day at a place where my signal is weak at times which usually drained my Galaxy s Vibrant without turning on airplane mode, and im using a live wallpaper for my clock.....and i am at 53% at the moment.

Last edited:

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
want to get a SG3 bad but the thought of getting the Jelly Bean update and that's it worries me. I would have to depend on rom makers to get the newest update for me at the cost of a broken camera or something else not working. Those are things I will not forget about android. I also have a ipad so I won't have to worry so much about all the apps that are garbage on android compared to their ios counterpart.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
want to get a SG3 bad but the thought of getting the Jelly Bean update and that's it worries me. I would have to depend on rom makers to get the newest update for me at the cost of a broken camera or something else not working. Those are things I will not forget about android. I also have a ipad so I won't have to worry so much about all the apps that are garbage on android compared to their ios counterpart.

What a strange post! Why would you not want the Jellybean update on the GS3? You seem to make little sense.

Any examples of "garbage apps" on Android?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Id say at least two weeks. Thats about when you get what you can do and figure some stuff out and are getting comfortable with it.

Yep, there is that. I did say a week because by that time, IMHO, the period of comparing it to iOS has worn off and one can start to enjoy the experience of a different OS.:) I think the main thing is to keep it long enough just to give it a chance.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
What a strange post! Why would you not want the Jellybean update on the GS3? You seem to make little sense.

Any examples of "garbage apps" on Android?

Suggestion: don't feed the troll.
Remember that many people here talk about Android without having ever even tried it themselves.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Suggestion: don't feed the troll.
Remember that many people here talk about Android without having ever even tried it themselves.

Actually I believe you misunderstood what he meant both of you.

Basically he means his carrier aren't pushing the updates so he is having to use cooked roms from the likes of XDA unfortunately a lot have broken features because they are prerelease.

What he should do is stick to a known good version and wait for the proper updates to be released.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Actually I believe you misunderstood what he meant both of you.

Basically he means his carrier aren't pushing the updates so he is having to use cooked roms from the likes of XDA unfortunately a lot have broken features because they are prerelease.

What he should do is stick to a known good version and wait for the proper updates to be released.

Exactly. Although its nice to have the latest update, I dont know why some people want to rush things and have cooked roms.

My GS3 works very well on ICS and im happy to wait the few months before I get Jellybean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.