Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Sold my pc and LCD screen this weekend, and just going to keep my Macbook Pro. I've been using and playing on pc for years, but I just don't have the energy or will any longer to keep fixing, updating etc Also, my pc takes too much room in our living room (one open space). So it's all Mac now. Kinda strange feeling not having a 'backup' computer :)

Anyone else recenly took the plunge to go all-Mac?

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Never even crossed my mind - I have too many Wintel requirements, not least of all a lot of processing power, without spending Mac Pro money.

Inspired

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
when you're poor like me Mac is just not an option, although i never felt like i had to 'fix' my pc at all, never had any PC troubles before actually.

But I do see a lot of threads about "thank goodness I bought apple care" (not trying to start a OS WAR, I'm just saying). I honestly would go for a mac though just cause it looks cooler. :D

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Sold my pc and LCD screen this weekend, and just going to keep my Macbook Pro. I've been using and playing on pc for years, but I just don't have the energy or will any longer to keep fixing, updating etc Also, my pc takes too much room in our living room (one open space). So it's all Mac now. Kinda strange feeling not having a 'backup' computer :)

Anyone else recenly took the plunge to go all-Mac?

Well... sort of. I'm down to a single 1.67 Power Book (the last PPC portable made) for everything, but it's not exactly a plunge as I've been down to using a single Mac before.

I will almost certainly do another home build fairly soon and have Linux, Solaris, BSD and Windows 7 RC available to load on it. Maybe OSX, but just out of curiosity because there's no need to load Leopard on it with the ability to share files cross-platform over the home network.

Of course I've been eyeing the new MacBook Pros too after trying out a couple recently at an Apple Store.
It was fun doing a head to head with my 3+ year old G4 right there on the spot. (that's not what it sounds like)

The difference in the screens and video was immediately obvious, the other differences not so much despite the large performance gain.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
But I do see a lot of threads about "thank goodness I bought apple care" (not trying to start a OS WAR, I'm just saying)

For the record apple care is really for the hardware, not the OS (Operating System, Leopard/Snow Leopard). I've never heard of it being used b/c the OS is screwed beyond repair.

Inspired

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
For the record apple care is really for the hardware, not the OS (Operating System, Leopard/Snow Leopard). I've never heard of it being used b/c the OS is screwed beyond repair.

I apologize for the wrong choice of words ;) I would rephrase it better but I'm too lazy, make whatever you want of it. thanks!:D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was a Mac only user for 2 years and no, I can't do that again. I need Windows (XP specifically) for my work. I might be able to just use a Mac and get my Windows fill from Bootcamp, but the inability to perform upgrades keeps me using homebuild PC's.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm able to go Mac-only at home. My work requires that I use the Dell laptop they gave me, but I'm able to bring that home to do much of that work.

I don't really mind - I like having the separation between my personal hardware and work hardware, just like I have my work cell phone, email, etc. separate from my personal ones.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I'm all mac. I'm just a student though.

I do sometimes worry about the fact that I can't do anything more than the basic stuff on a pc though. I don't even use Word :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll adapt when I have to

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I've been Mac only for about two years now, only PC that comes into the house is the Dell laptop my wife's school issues her.

If Win 7 ends up as nice as it looks though, I feel a Win 7 net book might find its way into the house.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Yep, I took the plunge and will never look back. Although, all my other siblings use PC.

I do keep a little EeePC for myself.

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sort of as well for me. I switched over to Mac from a PC in March, but I still use PCs for work and I do have a little Acer Aspire One that runs on XP. But, I don't ever foresee going back to PCs for my primary home computer though. (And I'll probably replace the Acer with a MacBook when it dies).

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I've been Mac only for about two years now, only PC that comes into the house is the Dell laptop my wife's school issues her.

If Win 7 ends up as nice as it looks though, I feel a Win 7 net book might find its way into the house.

Did a double take seeing your avatar. Thought at first it said 'Stop executing Idiots'.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.