Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I love my iPod Classic and have spent nearly every day of these last 11-12 years with this baby in my pocket. However I finally gave in to Apple Music. The larger storage in recent iPhone's, longer battery life, and especially AirPods Pro makes it even more compelling to leave my iPod at home.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I didn’t have one iPod quite as long as you but I had one all along (most recently a Touch) and finally gave in to just using the phone. I used to hate running my phone battery down to play music all day or use it in the car. It’s the end of an era for me.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I recently updated my iPod classic with a new battery and flash memory so it a lightweight, long battery life, 256 gigabyte monster! Works awesome for me on my flights overseas and I don’t have to worry about draining my phone battery or trying to connect to wi-fi in different countries all over the world.

long live the iPod classic!!!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I love my iPod Classic and have spent nearly every day of these last 11-12 years with this baby in my pocket. However I finally gave in to Apple Music. The larger storage in recent iPhone's, longer battery life, and especially AirPods Pro makes it even more compelling to leave my iPod at home.

Well, I'm doing the opposite... I just bought an iPod Classic 5.5 and planning to buy the (kokkia i10s) bluetooth transmitter to connect with my (Sony wf-1000xm3), then remove the hard drive and install a ssd with 250GB, another upgrade will be the battery with high capacity (36 - 40) hours of continues play with one charge, then I will replace the screen and the front and back plates.

I noted that the sound reproduced from the 30 pin charging connector is fantastic. The sound that this device creates is fantastic when used with good headphones.

After holding this little device in my hands and operating it, my respect for Steve Jobs grew because that man knew about aesthetics and created beautiful thing, and it is a pity that he is not here with us walking with mere mortals.

With respect to music, I prefer to listen to my music, to my mp3's, just those songs that I really like. I don't have time to discover new music. To be honest I don't like this decade music, so that is for me.

In fact, I'm planning to get me a flip phone or a dumb phone just for calls.
[automerge]1577569001[/automerge]
I recently updated my iPod classic with a new battery and flash memory so it a lightweight, long battery life, 256 gigabyte monster! Works awesome for me on my flights overseas and I don’t have to worry about draining my phone battery or trying to connect to wi-fi in different countries all over the world.

long live the iPod classic!!!

Hi, do you know what is the maximum memory capacity that the iPod Classic 5.5 can recognize and use?

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Check out iPod capacities here...

:)
[automerge]1577579364[/automerge]

In fact, this guy has figured out a way to put 1 terabyte into an iPod...

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I recently updated my iPod classic with a new battery and flash memory so it a lightweight, long battery life, 256 gigabyte monster!

Yeah mine is a 6.5g so even if I manage to physically cram a 1TB flash card inside, iTunes will only recognize 128GB. Bummer :(

Edit: Forget Rockbox, I absolutely hate their cheap-looking Winamp wannabe UI.

[automerge]1577675740[/automerge]
Well, I'm doing the opposite... I just bought an iPod Classic 5.5 and planning to buy the (kokkia i10s) bluetooth transmitter to connect with my (Sony wf-1000xm3), then remove the hard drive and install a ssd with 250GB, another upgrade will be the battery with high capacity (36 - 40) hours of continues play with one charge, then I will replace the screen and the front and back plates.

I noted that the sound reproduced from the 30 pin charging connector is fantastic. The sound that this device creates is fantastic when used with good headphones.

After holding this little device in my hands and operating it, my respect for Steve Jobs grew because that man knew about aesthetics and created beautiful thing, and it is a pity that he is not here with us walking with mere mortals.

With respect to music, I prefer to listen to my music, to my mp3's, just those songs that I really like. I don't have time to discover new music. To be honest I don't like this decade music, so that is for me.

In fact, I'm planning to get me a flip phone or a dumb phone just for calls.
[automerge]1577569001[/automerge]

Hi, do you know what is the maximum memory capacity that the iPod Classic 5.5 can recognize and use?

I have to say the battery advantage is what kept the iPod in my pocket for so long. Even though I don't use my iPod anymore I will never sell it. Thanks for the bluetooth transmitter thing, I didn't even know these existed! Maybe I'll pick up my iPod sometimes in the future when I long for something more organic.

As for this decade's music there are pretty good artists in every genres. Personally I don't like modern commercial pop either. But thanks to Apple Music, I discovered a bunch of new contemporary classical artists I very much enjoy.

Last edited:

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Yeah mine is a 6.5g so even if I manage to physically cram a 1TB flash card inside, iTunes will only recognize 128GB. Bummer :(

Edit: Forget Rockbox, I absolutely hate their cheap-looking Winamp wannabe UI.

I installed Rockbox yesterday it was impossible for me to do it with my MacBook. It was easy to install with a windows machine... the graphic user interface in Rockbox is a mess. There's no simplicity of beauty in that. It exited in my iPod for 3 hour only, then I formatted the drive and installed the stock OS. But don't get me wrong it seems that Rockbox gives a lot of functionality but it has a learning curve. I was interested in cross fade function for my music. I might give it another try in the future, but before I do that, I have to get me a good manual or video.

Reactions: Strangedream
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.