Finally External hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The1Yovi, Mar 23, 2009.

1. The1Yovi macrumors newbie

So i had a brand new LaCie 250 gb, that i could not connect to my MacBook Pro, i needed an express card adapter for the eSATA cable that it came with (i couldn't return it, i lost the receipt in transition). While i was at the store i decided that i should just get a whole other external hard drive (i have a possible buyer for the previous one, or my pc desktop will take it).

ANYWAY.

I purchased a terabyte, i'm happy i needed more memory.

Now i'm trying to see how i should set up my documents and if i should put some programs in there and just run them straight from the external memory. My music was taking about 30 gb so that's already hanging out in the external memory. Any suggestions?

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

What I do and I think what a lot of people do is put all my pictures, music, movies, documents and other downloads/files on my external hard drive. But I don't run any programs directly from there. I use it purely as backup.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Minor point on your nomenclature: You need more "hard drive space", rather than more "memory". Memory typically refers to RAM, which is a whole other animal (really, no pun intended).

4. The1Yovi thread starter macrumors newbie

ram is my next step. And yup i did the picture and music bit. But thanks for the advice! I'm new to macs so i'm still trying to see how it all works out.