Finally figured out why Front Row randomly goes black for seconds during photos....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RoboCop001, Mar 30, 2008.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Front Row 2, that is. Front Row 1 (in Tiger) is unaffected by this since it just launches iPhoto in the background.

I JUST noticed this.... after all this time and searching about why Front Row goes black at apparently random times during photo slideshows, I finally figured it out.

If this is common knowledge, I apologize. But I never came across this reason before.

So in iPhoto, some of my albums also have video clips in them. Now, iPhoto seems to skip them when doing a slideshow (iPhoto 06 anyway, that's the one I have), but when Front Row plays the same album as a slideshow, it goes black when it encounters a video. After it transitions away from the video, the photos come back.

I realized this after making an album with only videos in iPhoto, and trying to run it in Front Row. The screen stayed black the entire time.

Although the screen goes black, I suspect Front Row is still trying to animate the slideshow, but since it's a video nothing is displayed.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, if you didn't know already :)

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I hate Leopard's front row.

Just, for the record.

3. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha. Yeah, I like the Tiger one better too. The only thing I like about Leopard's Front Row is um.... I know there was something... oh! Right, I like the way it displays music better. But that's more or less it. There might have been something else, but yeah, Tiger's is nicer. Not to mention the cool startup animation!

My favorite thing about Tiger's Front Row is that, since it actually uses iTunes to play the music, you can go in an out of Front Row without stopping the music.
    I used to launch FR to start some music when I'm not near the computer, and exit right away so when I come back to the computer it's playing music, but the desktop is showing.

Has anyone figured out how to fully use the original Front Row with Leopard without the bugs?