Finally found a G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by abundantmussel, May 26, 2016.

1. abundantmussel, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

So I have spent the better part of a year looking for a quad or a 2.7 G5 locally but here in Ireland they are extremely rare. So today I settled on this instead:

[​IMG]

It's a 2.3 DP with 512MB RAM and a 250GB HD. Managed to get it for €100.

Looking forward to it arriving next week.

2. oi! Suspended

3. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

Have no idea really, probably use it to replace the imac G5, I use that for remote desktop to my windows vms for work and convert the imac G5 to a jukebox for when working.

4. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Sounds like you got one without the liquid cooling. One less thing to worry about down the road.

5. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

Exactly, that was my thinking if I was going to have to deal with an LCS it was going to be a G5 quad, I think this model is a good compromise of power and noise/cooling. Looking forward to it now, browsing Amazon at the moment for some more RAM. Want to up it to 8GB won't need anymore as my main desktop has 32GB RAM.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

That's the same one I have. First PPC mac I ever owned and I love it to death. Works great, really powerful... Currently using mine as a Time Machine server for all my Leopard+ Macs and it's serving that purpose perfectly

7. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

Out of curiosity, what GPU do you have in yours?

8. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Yeah, but--

*sees MacRumors mod appear from behind*

What do you mean I have to behave? I will not go back to that damn Naughty Stool.

I mean, uh, the liquid cooled ones were not the best idea for a computer that's still in use over a decade later. No they were not. However, I'd advise against using Office 2008 on any PPC Mac, regardless of speed. I never had a good experience with it as I did with 2004 and 2004 can have a workaround to translate docx files.

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Unacceptable, Naughty stool...

10. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

I normally use Libreoffice instead of MS Office, bit more up to date.

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I have the same model - it's a great machine - not that far behind my Quad unless you're really pushing numbers.
    Regarding LCS, I've had two vintage Quads and had no problems but given the age we're talking about, things will fail at some point.
    The only upgrade I'd go for with your machine is RAM - doesn't have to be a lot either. I'd only consider changing the GPU if it's got the low end GeForce FX 5200 - I've found unless you're a gamer or doing 3D rendering, spending money on a beefy video card is a waste. I replaced my GeForce 6600 with a Quadro 4500 high end card and after testing, saw no difference.
    Also, I'd recommend grabbing an Apple Service Disk and calibrating the fans to stop any excessive noise.

12. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

13. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

I must say it is so quiet my quicksilver is louder than it, it is sitting on the desktop tough with no software running. Seller put 1GB RAM in it up from the 512MB it was listed with.

14. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Show me a G5 that hasn't been damaged during delivery :(
    My DP 2.3 and Quad both got battered in the post - only upside is the Quad seller gave me a 50% refund.

15. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

Does anyone have any advice on repairing this, I know Tevion5 had his dual 2GHz damaged and used a bolt to hold it in place, I was going to get out the hammer and a peice of wood and try belting it back into place.

16. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I shipped Bunnspecial a MacPro1,1 properly. Cost $100 for shipping + PROPER wrapping and box.
    Arrived in perfect shape

17. jbarley, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You asked for it...:)

Here is what my quad looked like when I opened the box...
    packed tight with expanding foam.

DSCN4319.JPG

and here it is on my desk, not a mark from shipping, from Calif. cross border to Vancouver Island.

IMG_0028.JPG
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2016 ---
    And I just received a MacPro1,1 from OWC in good shape, this is cross border shipping and into the hands of "Canada Post" :eek:, so it can be done.
    Check out how they kept the MP centered in the box and the MP handles away from the box corners.

DSCN6694.JPG

18. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Ok :) Based on personal experience.
    I too once posted a Quad out - it arrived in perfect condition, I doubled boxed it so it could survive a drop - not rocket science but some sellers just don't give a damn.

19. oi!, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

oi! Suspended

A lot of people just never think that something might get dropped while shipping, it's why I've only ever collected a mac, never relied on postal service or couriers.
    I've seen how stuff gets treated!
    It's not pretty!

20. abundantmussel thread starter macrumors member

abundantmussel

Bumped the RAM to 8GB today, this machine screams along, compared to the MDD and the iMac G5. Tomorrows project is to gut it and press the metal back into place using a car jack and wall, failing that some epoxy and a clamp will be the solution.

21. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

It's far better to assume your parcel will be dropped as mentioned in this quote taken from a Canada Post webpage.
    I've underscored the important parts for clarity.
    "I was particularly struck by the level of automation at the plant. As parcels come in, they’re sent up a conveyor belt to a camera that photographs them from six different angles to capture the barcode or address. It’s then assigned to a specific square on the conveyor belt which carries it along to a chute with a crate at the bottom that’s designated for Ottawa or Montreal or Vancouver or wherever that package is headed — all without seeing a single human hand."