Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459640

$79 from local Circuit City. No need to spend $179 for the comparable Apple product or $299 for the lowest time capsule and you can't take it with you. Just plugged in my portable drive for immediate 320gb network storage and I can take with me when I need it or just enable access to the drive over the net. Also, it supports up to 4 usb drives with a powered USB hub.

I have had belkin for years without a problem when everyone I know had problems with linksys, dlink, etc. I gave my dad my 1 year old Belkin N router and picked this up today.

I would love to have the 1tb time capsule, just could not justify the expense right now. I already had the external drive, just did not have a router that supported USB storage.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually I've read about this and last time I read about it (4-5 months ago) it didn't actually support OSX. Check into that before you buy.

bengal85

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
USA
Thats actually a pretty nice router because of its color it can be hidden easily or it looks nice enough to have sitting in the open to.

at me house we have a Belkin Wireless G plus MIMO router. Overall I think its a nice router I have a Linskys 802.11b adapter in my room I like that a lot

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Actually I've read about this and last time I read about it (4-5 months ago) it didn't actually support OSX. Check into that before you buy.

The only reason why something wouldn't "support" OS X is because the setup software that comes with the router wouldn't work with OS X. I believe the IP address of a Belkin router is 192.168.100.1 (not for sure). If you can find out the IP address of a router, and look in the instruction booklet for the default login user id and password, and you will be able to run the setup from the router. Therefore, nothing shouldn't work with OS X, as it uses the same networking protocols as any other computer.

Hope this helps!

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
The only reason why something wouldn't "support" OS X is because the setup software that comes with the router wouldn't work with OS X. I believe the IP address of a Belkin router is 192.168.100.1 (not for sure). If you can find out the IP address of a router, and look in the instruction booklet for the default login user id and password, and you will be able to run the setup from the router. Therefore, nothing shouldn't work with OS X, as it uses the same networking protocols as any other computer.

Hope this helps!

That is what I thought too but then looking at this specific router, it requires "Storage Manager" software to be installed on the PC to access the USB storage. I've been unable to find any reference to OS X or the Mac with it.

The Belkin is significantly cheaper than a similar Cisco or D-Link model with the same features, but.......

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008

I already bought it. I thought it supports MAC OSX. Just installed the control panel software in the system preferences from the install disk on my new 2.4 glassbook. If anything, I can share through FAT32 partitions, correct?

I have several computers (both Macs and PCs) even if this did not work for the Macs, I still have use for it on the other computers and the storage is mainly for my netbook and my daughter's netbook. I just set this up tonight and will have to try it out on the Macs and PCs to see the results.

The manual also says you can access the drive through the IP address/device name.

Update: works with a 8gb thumbdrive and usb hardrive.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.