Finally found the best Profile for MB screen calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arctic, Jul 11, 2008.

1. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

As a new switcher, thought I'd help out fellow newcomers with this too. :)

Spend the couple of hours reading, downloading and trying ALL the profiles found in both the Macbook and Macbook Pro threads about calibration. David's profile for the MB was okay but I was surprised to find good ones made for MBP that actually looks great with the Macbook.

The best one is definitely Toneman82's profile he calibrated using Huey. You can try it from this post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5291495&postcount=141

Second best is Ryox's profile:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5450226&postcount=148

And third would be AbsenceOfTruth's profile that most MBP owners seem to love:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3880598&postcount=6

I would suggest everyone to try them out. Every MB screen has different models so results may vary. Also try the different profiles in those threads if you want more variety but some of those are made for the matte MBP screens and a few looked funny on my screen (bluish or too purple :D). It's fun comparing different profiles nonetheless. I'd suggest opening high quality photographs (not just one) as you click on one profile to the next to make the most of the clarity, details and right hues for your screen/taste.

Here are the full threads:

MBP:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325971&highlight=calibrate

MB:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325971&highlight=color+profile
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4513500#post4513500

For Mac gurus, if you can chime in on which profiles are your favorites here, it would be helpful as well.

Cheers and happy experimenting! :)

2. kabunaru Guest

I am using David's profile on my MacBook and iMac. I am going to try these and compare them. I am going to post some pictures between all of them, mostly from my MacBook.

Edit: One profile doesn't work for me at all. Doesn't show up in Display Preferences.

Edit 2: You have to click on all the pictures to see the difference between them. The first one is David's, the 2nd is Absence of Truths and 3rd is Ryox's. The other profile doesn't work for me.

Edit 3: I am going to change my MacBook and iMac to AbsenceofTruth's profile now. It seems better.

Edit 4: Added Toneman82's profile finally. It's the 4th one.

Edit 5: Actually, AbsenceofTruth's profile looks too dark for me. Ryox's seems too washed out for me and Toneman82's seems too bright to me.

Edit 6: I had to crop my images because of the file size limit.

Edit 7: Just for fun added Colour LCD (standard profile on Macs) and see how bad it is. It's the bottom photograph.

Attached Files:

3. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Wow, thanks for the screenshots, kabunaru. That's really a great help. Funny thing though, in my specific screen (Chi Mei Optoelectronics), the differences in brightness were more noticable. David's was quite darker. Have you noticed detail degredation in other photographs? Toneman's balance and saturation was perfect for my screen. Anyway, I'm encouraging others to also do experiments with their screens and use as much high quality photos as possible. :)

Cheers!

4. kabunaru Guest

I also have Chi Mei display. Are you saying that Toneman's profile is best for Chi Mei display? (9C5E: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467198)

5. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Yup. It's all relative, I guess. With the photographs (around a dozen) I've observed, Toneman's seem to display the best details for me. :D But don't mind me, I guess I just like the brightness of his profile and what it does to photographs.

Edit: if the angle of the screen is too close, Toneman's would seem washed out in comparison to AbsenceOfTruth. I'd suggest to angle your screen on how you'd usually use your laptop. I like mine a bit laid for when I am in class and conference meetings.

6. kabunaru Guest

I am surprised that a colour calibration profile can make a difference in the quality of the image. I guess I have to get used to the higher brightness now. I am going to switch to Toneman's profile now.

7. El Fragil macrumors newbie

Can someone explain screen calibration to me? Im a newbie. Just got my MacBook yesterday. Why do this?

8. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

So true! Comparing these profiles to the default is like night and day. Can't believe I was fine with the washed-out default just yesterday. :eek: :D

9. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

After you download these profiles, unzip them. Go to Library > Colorsync > Profiles then Displays and move these files there.

Now go to System Pref > Displays > Color and uncheck the "Show Profiles for this display only" box. Hope that helps.

Why do this? Because the MB screen default calibration is too washed out. You'll see the differences once you play with these profiles. There's no harm so try it out. :)

10. El Fragil macrumors newbie

Hey thanks!

11. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

What is Toneman's called in the list?

Is it "Color LCD" in the bottom list?

12. kabunaru Guest

ColourLCD was the worst out of all for me. Obviously.
    No matter what, I cannot get used to Toneman's profile at all it seems. David's is perfect for me.

Color LCD-4272040 or simply Color LCD
    If you mean bottom photo?
    Yes.

13. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Yes, it is.

kabunaru, that's cool. Every person has specific preferences. There's no BEST for a single group. If you use an external LCD, work around with the best profile that suits its brightness and saturation.

14. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Toneman's seem washed out to me and the colours seem odd

Anyway, I like Ryox's the best.

15. kabunaru Guest

I have a question... Is it possible to make David's profile 1.8 gamma instead of 2.2. Just basically leave all the colour settings the same except switch the gamma to 1.8. I would like to try David's profile with 1.8 gamma.

16. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Wow.. The first calibration made the world of difference for me in a good way. Many thanks,

:apple:Simon

17. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

w/Anti-Glare Film?

Really good info guys!

Was wondering--has anyone played around with profiles while using "anti-glare" film on the MB to replicate a matte finish? I imagine that such film would affect how various profiles looked...

18. kabunaru Guest

My MacBook has an anti-glare film on it (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=mb ). Matte screen makes everything look easier on the eyes for me.

19. Clayne macrumors 6502

Wait, does the anti-glare remove glare by making it look matte, or does it remove glare while retaining the vibrant colors and clarity?

Thanks.

20. kabunaru Guest

Yes.

21. Natsu macrumors member

sorry but what's calibration? helps your macbook's screen look cooler? I'm also a newbie

22. kabunaru Guest

23. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

I see no differences between these. :p

Maybe its because I'm on my parents old gateway monitor. It's flatscreen, not one of those big bulky white ones, but the thing is like 8 years old.

24. arctic thread starter macrumors 6502a

arctic

Me too. Funny, I also tried to make different screenshots of the profiles but every pic doesnt seem to elicit differences as opposed to what you will see when you compare those profiles. The simple explanation would be that calibrations are changing the settings for the physical screens and the screenshots can't take shots of how your physical settings elicit the colors of your screen. I can guess some people might be looking at those pics and thinking this calibration thing is one big hoopla:D (no offense kabunaru, I know you mean well by volunteering those shots).

If you'll try calibrating or using those profiles, you can see a SIGNIFICANT difference in each, especially compared to the factory default profile. Like I said before, try these on your own, and use different photos.

Cheers!!!

25. kabunaru Guest

Click on each photograph.