Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Hey guys, finally acquired my first mac, I bought a MBP 2.2Ghz on amazon.com over the Thanksgiving weekend and got a sweet deal, better than Apple Edu Discount, ADC, or any other. I made the mistake of looking at the forums thoroughly while waiting for the notebook :D. I read about the yellowing screen issue and the poor hinge on some MBP's.

Specs:
MBP 2.2Ghz
Week 41
Screen 9C66 (AUO)...calibrated with SuperCal

First up, some pics of the notebook closed...showing the front (bigger gap at the right side, but not much...probably normal just being paranoid).

2087293523_e0721f98aa.jpg

2088076574_9488e19f1c.jpg

2088077924_64529df1ee.jpg

2087292237_2b9fbd29ea.jpg

Second, some pics of the screen. I'll need to take some better pics of it. I actually took it into an Apple Store and got it checked out by a "genius". He "didn't know" of the problem and said he couldn't do anything anyways, because I bought the laptop from amazon. So I would have to return it to amazon, probably a big hassle.

2088081740_a6731a376e.jpg

2088083958_c7f270aeaf.jpg

2087297415_4a87f24efa.jpg

2087299561_d119fb9164.jpg

2087300663_052cf2f074.jpg

I told him about the issue and where I found it, (macrumors.com). He said he's been on the website, but was actually curious of the problem and said he'd investigate.

Honestly, if I never heard of the issue...I probably wouldn't have picked it up on the screen. It's only noticeable with the "test" pic and when you have a white background (scrolling thru the internet pages and they get yellower as you go down). What do you guys think?

Finally, I'm looking into getting a wireless mouse. I tried out the apple wireless mouse and it seemed fine. I would definitely want a Bluetooth one no question, any other good wireless mouse’s' with BT?

Thanks for your help.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
You have a screen similar to mine. I brought my unit to a genius and told me it was "within spec" even after acknowledging there is yellowing. Pretty stupid so I might replace the screen in about a year.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
You have a screen similar to mine. I brought my unit to a genius and told me it was "within spec" even after acknowledging there is yellowing. Pretty stupid so I might replace the screen in about a year.

"Within spec"??! What the devil's that meant to mean... It's an acceptable level of faulty? Lol. That wouldn't have flown with me...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The gap is fine, don't worry about it. :)

As for the screen...that's...interesting (to say the least).

I do have one question: what are we supposed to be looking for in the last set of pictures with the two open browser windows? Did you open them like that, or is the screen doing that with ONE window open?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Ah I'm slow, I imagine there is meant to be solid colour at the sides of those first photos, rather than the gradient caused by uneven lighting. I can see the issue now.

And the bottom google window on the screen appears brighter or more intense somehow than the top one. Correct?

Watermonkey

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
NE Washington State
It's still under Apple warranty, isn't it? It doesn't make any difference where you bought it as long as it was an authorized retailer, which I believe Amazon is. I'd be calling apple customer care right about now and negotiating my replacement computer if I had that screen.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
The gap is fine, don't worry about it. :)

As for the screen...that's...interesting (to say the least).

I do have one question: what are we supposed to be looking for in the last set of pictures with the two open browser windows? Did you open them like that, or is the screen doing that with ONE window open?

I opened the "same" browser to show that the "white" of the lower is darker and yellower. I guess the pics suck, they don't truely show the problem.

Ah I'm slow, I imagine there is meant to be solid colour at the sides of those first photos, rather than the gradient caused by uneven lighting. I can see the issue now.

And the bottom google window on the screen appears brighter or more intense somehow than the top one. Correct?

Sorry, I didn't explain...I used a solid grey with two white squares pic from this thread for my test: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4061937/

The yellowing comes up on the whites squares, ideally both should be white and equally bright. But if you have the yellowing problem, the lower square appears yellower and darker.

For some reason the camera is picking up these color gradients and possibly the LED backlighting, since in one of the pics the lower screen is brighter...but that not visible to my eyes when looking at the screen.

And the google browser was to show that the "white" of the lower is darker and yellower. I guess the pics suck, they don't truely show the problem.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I opened the "same" browser to show that the "white" of the lower is darker and yellower. I guess the pics suck, they don't truely show the problem.

Ahh...is your screen titled? Remember that LCDs will appear darker at the bottom based on the angle of sight. Open up a full page browser (going down below the dock as well) and see if it looks darker when you examine several portions of the screen (bottom, middle, top).

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
It's still under Apple warranty, isn't it? It doesn't make any difference where you bought it as long as it was an authorized retailer, which I believe Amazon is. I'd be calling apple customer care right about now and negotiating my replacement computer if I had that screen.

My first plan of action was to see what the trouble would be to replace it. First I called AppleCare, they said that I would have to go to the seller for a replacement like this (i.e. call amazon and ask for a replacement, probably not a problem...just would take a while and possibly get another broken one).

Then I went to the "Genius" bar at a local Apple store and I explained above, pretty much what AppleCare said. I was hoping to replace it at the store, this way I could open the "new" one to make sure it was satisfactory.

Ahh...is your screen titled? Remember that LCDs will appear darker at the bottom based on the angle of sight. Open up a full page browser (going down below the dock as well) and see if it looks darker when you examine several portions of the screen (bottom, middle, top).

*EDIT* Screen Titled???? Not sure what you mean.

Yes, I did that and that's where I noticed the problem, as well as using the test image. It's harder to tell when I just have one "full" page open, but when I move a "white" whatever...from the top to the bottom, its slightly darker and yellower.

Ah, I believe you meant tilted, well yes. Tilted for my viewing angle, so without moving my head in relation to the screen I see the lower slightly yellow'd and darker.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
*EDIT* Screen Titled???? Not sure what you mean.

Haha...should have been tilted:p

Yes, I did that and that's where I noticed the problem, as well as using the test image. It's harder to tell when I just have one "full" page open, but when I move a "white" whatever...from the top to the bottom, its slightly darker and yellower.

Yeah, you may have a defective screen then. Mine is consistent if I look at eye level at the bottom or the top. The yellowing is especially troublesome.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Haha...should have been tilted:p

Yeah, you may have a defective screen then. Mine is consistent if I look at eye level at the bottom or the top. The yellowing is especially troublesome.

Haha

What's consistant, the color or the brightness. Have you ever tried this test image, give it a shot if you never did and let me know if you see anything. Because I ran it in the store on a couple MBP's, it was hit or miss...but on the desktops it was good.

Pic: http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82661&d=1187382213

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I can spot the uneven lid, but from those photos I can not tell there is any issue with the screen either.

Well, the lid isn't 100% even, but neither is mine, or most other mbps. As long as the gap doesn't allow stuff to get through - and a gap that small certainly wouldn't - I wouldn't worry.

Your screen looks great, too.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Funny thing, when I "tested" the image on my PC moniter, Samsung SyncMaster 931B, it also exhibts the yellowing on the bottom third...but more noticable than the MBP.

Honestly, I never knew or saw the issue on my current moniter. I guess with the test image it makes it really stick out, when under normal viewing it wouldn't be apparent.

Also any advice on my mouse issue, any bluetooth mouse other than mac that's good?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The gap on the right is like less than 1mm more than the left.. is that really a big deal?

As for the screen, from those pics it looks more like just your viewing angle than that actual yellowing issue.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i wouldn't worry about the lid or the screen, as far as i can tell, all mbp's have those uneven lid, and as for the screen, i wish mine was as even as yours!

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Also any advice on my mouse issue, any bluetooth mouse other than mac that's good?

I heard from a salesman (and now hope it's so , because I'm going to get one) that the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 (Windows/Macintosh) was good.

Cheers!

Glen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.