Finally gave up on family sharing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by qtrim, Dec 9, 2014.

1. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

I finally gave up on family sharing. I just switched the app store account on my wife and sons devices to my master account. Too much hassle trying to update apps we had already purchased. Maybe they'll fix it by iOS 11.

2. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Can you provide some specifics about the problems? I was getting ready to set it up for my kids iPads and iPods, but don't want to if it's a hassle.

3. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I was planning to get this working over the festive break, at the moment my wife and youngest are login into my iTunes account.

I've not been hit by anything really big (70p every now and again for Candy Crush IAPs), and they alway ask.

Has it been hard for people to get this all sorted?
    Do purchases cross iTunes accounts (youngest has minecraft bought on my account, would it appear on hers if she switched)?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You assume people want help or understanding.

Rather than just to whine and vent.

5. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Huh? I was asking for help or specific issues he encountered if the OP is willing to provide it.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I was giving attitude.
    Not at you, in agreement, regarding how it's often like pulling teeth getting information regarding 'issues'.

It was very easy for my wife and I to merge into a family, we had separate accounts before, and now have easier access to each other apps and music.

It was tough to merge my father and step mother. Her devices already used his AppleID for store, so deauthenticating that, and re authenticating hers confused things. Required basically restarting her fresh.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I like it and use it, but I wish it was more. I wish my wife could use my iTunes Match with Family Sharing. I also wish I could switch family members on iTunes itself without being lock out (unable to log back in after the other) of the previous account for 90 days. If they are both part of the same Family Sharing account, it shouldn't matter.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

- Enabled family sharing
    - Added Wife
    - All the songs/movies she's every purchased I now have access to and vice versa.
    - Any purchases she makes is charged on my card.

Works as intended on iOS 8.1.1

9. TheColtr macrumors regular

I have family sharing on me and my fiancé. It was up and running within 20 minutes. It has worked flawlessly for both of us. music, movies, tv shows, books, apps, everything works.

10. EvoXOhio macrumors member

So if I set this up for my kids, does that mean they can continue to download free apps with their apple ID username and password, but I have to approve them downloading paid apps since they'll be listed as children on my family account?

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

In theory? yes. I haven't tried that scenario yet.

12. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Exactly, that's how it should work.

13. EvoXOhio macrumors member

And how do I get to approve it? Do I enter my password on their iPad? Do I get an email asking me to approve their purchase? Do I get a popup on my iPhone asking me to approve their purchase?

14. lemieuxfan67 macrumors member

You get a pop-up on your device...
    [​IMG]

15. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Nice. I'm going to try to set it up this weekend.

16. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I'm working on setting up family sharing for my family and right now and there are really two issues that I'm having issues with.

First, I usually get itunes gift cards when they go on sale and charge all my itunes purchases to the gift cards, but with family sharing they have it set up so everyone uses their own gift cards exclusively. If I, as the family organizer have itunes credit on my account and someone else in the family makes a purchase it's still charged to my credit card, rather than the itunes credit I have available. If someone has their own itunes credit on their account, then it's charged to that credit before it's charged to my card.

I can understand why they might have done this, but it's still a pain. The workaround is to make sure that everyone in the family has their own itunes credit bought at a discount, but this means that I need to maintain gift cards on 5 separate accounts rather than just one.

The other issue is this. When my kids want to download a new app the ask to purchase feature works great. My wife and I get a notification and we can approve or deny it. However, if they want to download an app (free or otherwise) that someone in the family has already purchased then they are allowed to do so without having to get permission. There are some apps that my wife and I have purchased that we don't want the kids to be able to download, but the way it works now, they can download those without permission.

I'm still playing around with this one a bit, but right now the solution seems to be to hide the purchases that we don't want them to be able to download without asking. (In the app store on the phone, go to purchases, then my purchases, then find the items you don't want your kids to be able to download and swipe to the left and click on 'hide') This seems to work, but obviously requires us to be diligent in searching through all of our purchases to make sure we hide everything we don't want to be downloaded and we also need to remember to hide any new apps that we purchase and download.

17. shotts56 macrumors 6502

You have to authorise free apps as well, which is a bit of a nuisance.

18. EvoXOhio macrumors member

Really? I read that you don't have to.

19. Paco II macrumors 65816

Question for you guys: if my wife navigates to purchases -> my purchases, the apps all say get. Buy if she goes directly to one of these apps, they show the price. With family sharing, does one have to download apps via the purchased section? If she downloads the app after navigating directly to it, where the button shows a price, will her account her charged?

20. gotdatphyer macrumors newbie

Movie Streaming

Is there any way for the person who didn't purchase the movie to stream it. I can stream it in Videos but the kids have to download every movie they want to watch. I wish it was like Vudu sharing, any help would be much appreciated.

21. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Hope they add this feature for two adults living together but using their own credit cards.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What about in-app purchases? Are those shared yet?

23. erio macrumors member

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Wise post

25. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

no, which is daft surely.

but the biggie for me is iTunes match

plus a more understandable but still annoying one is accounts from other countries. we have always used my account for portuguese iTunes, for all purchases, and my wife has a uk account without a card attached, for things like bbc iplayer, and other uk only apps.

i had to convert her account to a portuguese one to add it to family sharing, and having realised that theres no benefit (to me) of family sharing ill convert it back.

i think for kids, family sharing sounds great. it makes it easy for kids to buy stuff whilst protecting the adults, so its much better than using different logins.

for adults who both have lots of purchases before they got together, its much easier than swapping logins, but only if you now want to use the same payment card, which a lot of people won't.

for everyone else, if you haven't got iTunes match then its going to sound like a good idea, but not actually benefit you. you could just as easily login as them for 5 mins and download their apps, and this means you still get their in app purchases, and can still purchase separately. if you now want to purchase together then just use one login from now on for buying, and the other persons login only when you want any of their previous purchases.

and if you have iTunes match its a no go.

we are back to the old fashioned idea, my mac, iPad and phone are logged in as me for everything, and my wife as her for iCloud and me for iTunes. works great.