Finally getting a Mac...just a few questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BigWorm, Aug 12, 2011.

1. BigWorm macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I’m going to be buying a iMac soon and I’m just tearing my hair out deciding between the 3.1 i5 w/ the 1GB video card vs. the 2.7 i5 w/the 512 video card. I plan on using it mostly for Logic 9 audio editing, maybe do some video editing in the future with Final Cut, and watch HD movies on it. I also plan on taking advantage of the 2 new thunderbolt ports to connect additional monitors. Will the 1GB card improve the performance of Logic 9 and the additional monitors? Or will the 512GB be sufficient enough to power additional monitors without it being laggy or taking a performance hit? Does the video card make that much of a difference if I'm not gaming. I also noticed that I can buy a refurbished iMac. Has anybody had any issues with a refurbished iMac? I’ve used PC’s pretty much all my life and this is going to be my first Mac! Any information is appreciated Thanks.

2. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

Welcome to the Mac family :D!, if ur going to be running 3 displays @ the same time then i reccomend u get the 3.1 i5, its a better overall investment.

3. thats nice macrumors member

Yeah with 3 displays get the 1GB card.

It's not something you can upgrade later so just spec it up now!

Do it right the first time ;)