Finally gor VMware Fusion 3 and installed Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macswitcha2, Mar 6, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Windows is operating snappy except for when it starts up. Too slow for my likings but when it has started, it is is as fast as my OS X.

Any cool things I need to know? I haven't messed around with Windows since I switched to a Mac back in 2008.

Any essential programs for windows via VMware Fusion 3 that you recommend?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A good anti-virus application. Regardless of it being in vmware, it's still windows

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Once you have VMWARE-tools installed and running, it is basically a mswindows machine - so you'll need all the protection you'd normally want for one of those (kind of defeats the purpose of moving, but OK to have it around for those times you might need to run a program or two) - antivirus, antispyware, etc.

Take a snapshot occasionally, so you can revert to the previous one if there is any damage.

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did install the virus protection featured at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

What do you think of just having this security?

Also, would any difficulty caused to Windows affect my Mac OS X?

5. jesterscourt macrumors regular

MSE should be sufficient. Make sure to run the update program frequently (at least once a day)

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Whatever makes you comfortable with the mswindows machine should be OK (or whatever you ran on mswin in 2008 to keep it safe, properly updated).

Nothing on the mswin side should affect the OS X side (there are some (academic) discussions how something 'bad' might cross over to the host OS, but nothing known in the wild that can do that).