Finally got a G5!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Feb 23, 2015.

1. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I just won an auction for a Dual 2Ghz G5. I've never even used a G5. The description stated it runs fine, just that the fans run full blast after 10 minutes or so. I'm up to the challenge...

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

oooooo
    Don't forget to write the story and take pictures if you can! :D

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Congratulations! You'll quickly fall in love!

Did you get the dual processor version or the dual core version?

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

hahaha you wouldn't want that to be misinterpreted LOL :D

5. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

6. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Congrats! That machine should serve you well. I have a later model DP 2.0 which only has four RAM slots. It's tucked away as a backup machine.

7. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I think its important to figure out why the fans go full blast after 10 minutes, they shouldnt do that.

I would first try resetting the pram and pmu. If that doesnt help, and software is good, then remove the cpu-heatsink units, and give them fresh heat paste, and make sure they are held down properly in their mounts. Fans going berzerk after a while is a sign of a water cooler that needs help, but yours is air cooled, so it seems strange to me.

8. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

That's good advice. It could be due to old or poorly applied thermal paste. Additionally, give the inside a good cleaning to get rid of any dust. Reapply thermal paste, and maybe run thermal calibration. In the pics, I didn't see the plastic air deflector. If it is missing, the fans will run full speed.

9. iMac5,1User macrumors newbie

10. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Actually a complete disassembly and cleaning is pretty standard when I get a mac I'm going to be fixing up. The G5's are bad for having dirty power supplies, since most people put them on the floor, and the PSU fans sucked in floor dust/lint. Same for the air space behind the motherboard, there are heatsinks back there and they have to be clean. If the rear heatsinks and heatpipe assembly is clogged, the memory controller can get fried. Its a pretty long process to get the motherboard out to clean it like that, but you only need to do it once, and I think its worth taking the time.

As an example, when I first got my G5 Quad, it looked great, very clean, and ready to use. I took it apart anyway.. the PSU was about 70% clogged with dust bunnies and lint, and behind the motherboard was more dust bunnies. People think just blowing out the visible parts of a G5 is good enough, but its not.

I never, ever, run a computer on the floor due to problems like this.

11. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Congratulations! I've never owned a G5...I'm jealous. :)

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

same...

13. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Sadly, I don't have the desk space for my G5 tower. On my DP 2.5 (LCS), I found that the memory controller chip ran hot even after cleaning and reapplication of thermal paste. The temp would creep up to 80°C under heavy load. The CPUs would average around 55°C.

14. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

The memory controllers always run hot like that, its normal from what I have seen. I have the same temps on my dual 2.0, dual 2.7, and quad.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I now have two, a low-end 1.6 GHz and high-end 2.0 GHz DP. Unfortunately the DP sounds like a jet due to a replacement CPU I got off eBay which failed thermal calibration, may have to use it with just one. The DP also has an annoying graphical glitch with the cursor which probably has to do with the GPU.

G5s are great machines, but they can be quite a pain.