Finally got a Mac Pro with SW RAID to Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rreta04, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rreta04 macrumors newbie

After days of searching and failing on different ideas on how to get boot camp to work with OS Xs' SW RAID, I finally did it. This is how I did it and I've read other ways to do it, but this is the only one that worked for me. Just thought I would share for anyone who was interested.

After I got my Mac Pro, I instantly used up all 4 SATA slots to setup RAID 0 through the Disk Utility application. I was bummed to find out that I couldn't boot camp in this configuration, so off to the internet I went.

First I took all 4 drives out of my Mac Pro and inserted a new drive that was not a part of the RAID into slot 1. I booted my machine with the OS X install disk in it, erased the hard drive, and installed OS X. Nice, fresh install.

I then boot camped the machine like you would in any other normal circumstance.

I powered down the Mac and took out the HD from slot 1. I placed the hard drive into the extra optical bay and hooked it up using that free SATA cord. If your thinking why didn't I just use this SATA slot in the first place, I did already try that. The Windows installer didn't like the fact that it was in that location for some reason, so I had to restart the entire process again after switching the HD to slot 1.

I would think that you could also set up this HD as an external hard drive at this point, but I'm not sure. I just used the empty optical bay.

After placing the HD in the optical bay, I put back my 4 HDs into their original positions.

Restarted the Mac and held down the option key. Unfortunately you will have 2 installs of OS X on you machine, but to me that didn't matter. As long as I had an option to boot into Windows. You only lose about 20 gigs on the HD you boot camped.

And that was that. Spent days looking for a workaround and finally got it. Sharing this for those that are interested, but perform at your own risk.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thanks for sharing... but I think it's fairly well understood that when running OSX SW RAID0 you need to have Windows installed on a separate stand-alone drive.

BTW, can't you just install Windows on the separate drive without installing OSX and using Bootcamp to partition it? This seems like an unnecessary extra step. But I haven't actually done this yet myself so I could be mistaken.

It is good to know that Windows won't install on a drive connected to the optical bay.

3. rreta04 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you run boot camp, it will only let you install windows on the partition you booted from. So when I boot from my RAID, boot camp just simply states that its not supported and you have no choice but to exit. So that's the reason for installing OS X on the stand-alone drive, I have to launch OS X from it in order to boot camp it.

I agree that its well understood that a stand-alone drive is well known, but its how I got windows on that drive that took me days to accomplish.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yes, but I still think you made it more difficult than it needed to be. I believe you could have just pulled your RAID drives, put the empty drive in bay 1 and installed windows on it directly. As far as I know, there was no need for OSX and bootcamp in order to get Windows installed on that drive. Bootcamp is just a partition tool that enables you to install Windows on a partition that's also got OSX... in your case, you didn't need a partition or another installation of OSX so bootcamp was completely unnecessary. Am I correct or is there something I'm missing? I haven't actually done this, but from what I've read around here, this is how you would do it in the most efficent way possible.

5. rreta04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, ok, I see what you are getting at. You are probably correct. I didn't try it that way because I went under the assumption that boot camp was required for a Windows installation. If not, then I don't see why that wouldn't have worked.