Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hay guys. finally i switched!!! bought a macbook 2.0GHz white with 1GB memory. Its great i love it, but im having some hard times with the software, but its ok considering that its my first time to use a mac!
i have a question. how long does a normal starting take on my macbook? and how do i clean up (windows: system tools, disk cleanup)?
and how can i delete the extra fonts?
And finally, how can i change my account name? and put a password? and can i put a password when the screen saver turns on?

Sorry caz its long!

Thanks

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Can't help with system cleanup tools (don't use any on my PowerBook), but you can manage the fonts on your Mac via the application "Font Book."

To set a login password, check "Disable Automatic Login" under Security in System Preferences (the app with the lightswitch icon). You can set a wake from sleep/screen saver password here as well.

Hope you enjoy your new machine.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Normal starting time shouldn't be more than a minute. And for "cleaning up", there's Disk Utility in the Utilities folder for verifying/repairing disks and permissions, and Onyx, which you shouldn't mess around TOO much with until you learn a little more about it and OS X, seeing as how you're new to using a Mac. I also recommend smcFanControl if you think your 'Book is a bit too hot on your lap.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Don't worry about 'cleaning up' your Mac.

This isn't windows ;)

Welcome to a better computing experience.

MadDoc,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.