Finally got a PS3, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Solid Raven, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Solid Raven macrumors member

So I decided to purchase a PS together with my bro, finally. Though I must say it's kind of a bummer there's no backwards compatibility support inside (Europe, you know), I'm loving it so far!
    Bought the pack with littlebigplanet, which is a great game. I've got many friends coming over and this is a fun game to play together :)
    Also bought MGS4, which I think is brilliant, but have only completed the first act though. MGO is pretty neat too. Too bad my time is limited so I only get to play the PS3 occasionally.

So I was wondering, you guys know any great PS3 games that are kind of a must have? Although I like good singleplayer games, I'm particulary interested in multiplayer games, especially those which support 4-player (or more) offline split screen, whatever, modes.

I'm on a regular tv now, is there much of a difference with HDTVs?

Anything else worth knowing?

Thanks!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've been playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and I think it's the best game out there. Also, NCAA Football '09 is awesome.

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I don't have a PS3, but get BIOSHOCK!

Oh, and I'm playing through Fallout 3 right now on PC, which is really fun, if you're into that sort of thing.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I had a lucky weekend in Vegas over summer so I bought a PS3. It was right after GTAIV came out so I bought that with it. Honestly, I think GTAIV might be one of the best games I've ever played before.

A good change of pace from that is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. This game is VERY fun and the graphics are gorgeous. It plays like a movie and gives a very Indian Jonesy feeling to it. I picked up a used copy on eBay for like $20. You should do the same!

Other than that, I have Madden, because I always get Madden. I want to finish beating Uncharted before I get any other games, but Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and Littlebigplanet are all on my holiday wish list :D

5. Solid Raven thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm not into sports games at all, so that's a no-go :)

I was thinking about GTA IV too btw. Can you play this game in 2 player co-op like you could with san andreas? Also heard it offered online play but not sure (IV).

Any 4 player rpgs out there (like champions of norrath on the ps2)? Fallout looks a bit too futuristic to me, but I heard it's pretty good :)

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Only one player can play it at a time that I know of... unless you play multi-player over the internet.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just curious, have they finally put classic teams back in? like 2001 miami or 1995 nebraska, etc?

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

He's already got it :)

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm not sure... I only play as Michigan and in the Big 10. I'm not where I can check it now either.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well back on the gamecube and last gen systems, it was simply scrolling through the teams. for instance youd scroll through the current year teams then you would see all the classic teams and mascot teams

i remember getting ncaa 07 on the 360 and i was pissed for 2 reasons
    1) the cover featured reggie bush but the game did not have any of those players from that year bush played (like vince young or leinart, etc)
    2) they got rid of all my classic teams, as i always play as 95 nebraska or 97 michigan

12. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Pick up PAIN and Super Stardust HD from the PSN store. :)

13. Stepper macrumors regular

Call of Duty : World of War
    &
    Call of Duty 4....even though WoW came out this week you still need COD4...probably the BEST game on any console this year tbh

14. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I know it's not a multiplayer game, but Oblivion is a must have game. ;)

15. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I'd recommend:
    Burnout: Paradise
    SOCOM: Confrontation (online only)
    Warhawk (online only)

If you're interested in the above mentioned games, send me a PM and I'll tell you my gamertag; always looking for more people to play with online!

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Dead Space. How is it that this game was not mentioned?

Anyways, great game on any platform.

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I played Oblivion 8-10 hours a day for 4 or 5 months. By far the best game I have ever played.

18. Solid Raven thread starter macrumors member

Yea oblivion seems kinda cool, maybe I'll buy it later.
    Nobody can think of a multiplayer rpg?

19. Jonesy85 macrumors member

Resistance Fall of Man is a great FPS and is probably fairly cheap now. The sequel is out, which is supposed to be just as good or even better, but I haven't played it.

Although it's not a multiplayer game, Folklore is a very interesting RPG that is also cheap now.

Soul Calibur IV is a nice fighting game.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is there ANY way to change the controls to this:

left joystick
    up: forward
    down: backward
    left and right: turn

right joystick:
    up: look down
    down: look up
    right and left: strafe

21. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I don't know, honestly. It's been over a year since I played it. I don't remember disliking the controls, but if you can't change the controls in the options then I doubt it's possible.

22. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

well it all depends what types you like. but i woudl recommend

Little Big Planet - this is just amazingly fun and just soo random. the narrator is also stephen fry who is just funny in the game:-D

Motorstorm 2 - excellent 'violent' fun wich great multiplayer, upto 12 people. but the game is best when you have a good sound system, maybe a Bose or B&O,tag mclaren (i only have bose, im a student:p) and put it full volume, gets you going

Resistance 2 - whenever it comes out, the beta is pretty good and graphics look strange but realistic

You might also want to try MGS4, one of the best and definatly Gran Turimo 5: Prologue, and yes it isnt THE full thing, and i say THE because it is a game, just not the full game. never the less its still much bigger than many other racing games, loads of cars and its only £16.

In terms of SDTV and HDTV, their is a HUGE difference. HDTV, even 720p HDTV is a lot better. to take full advantage of any next gen console, even a Wii you need a proper TV. Best to go for one with the highest contrast ratio, and 100hz processor and a 'game mode' type thing, like you get on samsungs

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Really? I'm not keen on the Game mode on our Samsung, it ups the contrast way too much and even Xbox games look way too sharp. Even our Bravia needed a lot of tweaking to get it right.
    *or at least "right, IMO".

24. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

well the only thing it does on my samsung is turn the brightness down, but just sky+ or something looks like if the brightness was normal. game are normally a lot brighter, well some are. and i quite like it because in a university dorm im only about 2 meters away from the screen, and its 26" and if its too bright it can damage your eyes. doesnt help that i have 24" imac with the worlds widest, but shortest (depth) desk. so im only about 80cm away from that and i always have the brightness on the lowest setting.

25. poolish macrumors regular

get call of duty World At War! its out today, and will be amazing.
    Call of Duty 4 is pretty much the only game i play, as well as GTA IV.
    theres a big difference, small text can be hard to read on the 32" sdtv ive got here at uni, but at home i have HD and it is so much better.