Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afluffykitten

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
I bought a retina mini after returning my air because I like it better. The first one was really yellow at the bottom. Like, it looked like a swath of pollution had settled at the bottom half of the screen. I did an exchange, and the second one was a little better, but still predominantly yellow on the bottom. Both serial numbers were different for the first half, meaning that the displays did come from different manufacturers. At this point I was becoming fairly disappointed, because I did not want to get stuck in a return loop, and I had already returned a couple iPad airs, soI was starting to feel guilty about doing it all the same store.

I drove to a different Apple Store, and explain the situation but I was looking for an iPad with a great screen. The associate was understanding but because I was honest and had told him that I returned it twice, he replied by saying he would let me do ONE exchange because "it costs the company money".

And wrap the new iPad, held my breath, and.... Yellow. Not only was the screen yellow, this one had pretty severe light leaks. I left the store with the crappy iPad feeling pretty disheartened. There's only one more store I could try, about 40 km away. I decided to try it.

I went in and just bought a fresh iPad, without returning or exchanging. I opened it up, turned it on and... BINGO. The holy grail, an ipad mini retina with a uniform screen!! I brought the crappy one in from my car and explained the situation, and they took that one back no fuss.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that, don't become disheartened, the unicorn screens are out there, and you just need to land the right one. Also, try different stores as hey may get different batches of then in.... This one came from a fairly remote store (the furthest one north in Canada).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I bought a retina mini after returning my air because I like it better. The first one was really yellow at the bottom. Like, it looked like a swath of pollution had settled at the bottom half of the screen. I did an exchange, and the second one was a little better, but still predominantly yellow on the bottom. Both serial numbers were different for the first half, meaning that the displays did come from different manufacturers. At this point I was becoming fairly disappointed, because I did not want to get stuck in a return loop, and I had already returned a couple iPad airs, soI was starting to feel guilty about doing it all the same store.

I drove to a different Apple Store, and explain the situation but I was looking for an iPad with a great screen. The associate was understanding but because I was honest and had told him that I returned it twice, he replied by saying he would let me do ONE exchange because "it costs the company money".

And wrap the new iPad, held my breath, and.... Yellow. Not only was the screen yellow, this one had pretty severe light leaks. I left the store with the crappy iPad feeling pretty disheartened. There's only one more store I could try, about 40 km away. I decided to try it.

I went in and just bought a fresh iPad, without returning or exchanging. I opened it up, turned it on and... BINGO. The holy grail, an ipad mini retina with a uniform screen!! I brought the crappy one in from my car and explained the situation, and they took that one back no fuss.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that, don't become disheartened, the unicorn screens are out there, and you just need to land the right one. Also, try different stores as hey may get different batches of then in.... This one came from a fairly remote store (the furthest one north in Canada).

Legally they have no right to say "you can only do one exchange" that's BS. You paid for a screen clear of defects, and for them to say "it costs the company money" to exchange is a crock. It's sad that we pay an Apple premium and have a few bad managers\store reps out there.

You are absolutely entitled to a 100% pristine, as-advertised product when you spend your hard earned money.

Afluffykitten

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Part of problems that some the representatives look at you like you don't know what you're talking about, or they just don't have and eye sharp enough to see what you were talking about. That particular guy was 50...

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I completely agree that you should insist on a screen that's at the very least 100% white. Your mistake was being too honest. No need to volunteer information that isn't necessary to reveal. You're not being dishonest by not telling him what number of returns your on and if you don't say anything he sure as hell won't ask.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
My iPad Air has a tint on the bottom left. It's honestly not that bad, not worth returning it for… Especially four times. Just in my opinion. Also, if everyone wasn't complaining about all the problems online, I probably would never have even noticed.

I would have obviously liked it if it was nothing all. When I'm just using it I don't notice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.