finally got air--some ?s

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xtempo, Mar 21, 2015.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

I still have some poking around to do.

What software for removal of infections that is either free or cost something?

also been trying to find the 2nd set of 4gigs because best buy didn't have it. where is a good place to get the memory?
    what is a good place for the memory to be installed.

finally how do I go about having a windows partition? how much hard drive space to have windows 7?

thanks

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Don't bother with antivirus software.

What do you mean second set of memory? Memory is not upgradeable.

Use Bootcamp to install Windows 7. It will do everything for you. How much space to allocate for Windows is up to you but keep in mind that Win OS alone is like 30GB. I recommend at least 60GB if you are going to install a lot of apps/programs.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    You're out of luck on the memory my friend, what you buy is what you get, it is NOT user upgradeable:eek:

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can configure the MBAir with 8 or 16GB of RAM, but only at purchase (it's an option direct from Apple.)
    The reason that you don't get more memory from Best Buy - they only offer stock configs, which come with 4GB. OK for a lot of things, but you mentioned in your other thread that you want to run Windows, either BootCamp, or as a virtual machine, using Parallels, etc.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Unfortunately the MBA currently maxes out at 8GB, which has been the only problem for me from time to time (I need to run VMs for development).

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ah, correct (not sure where my brain is today...)
    But, fact remains that you can't upgrade RAM, even to 8GB, after purchase - and I assume by OPs comment that the purchase was at Best Buy - who doesn't do custom configs on MBAirs...

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    As others have said, you can't upgrade the memory after purchase.
    Boot Camp Support
    System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp

9. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

if you wanted more memory i would have got it from apple web site so that way you can pick 8GB then 4 so if you want more memory i would return the macbook air you got from best buy and get the one from apple web site other wise you are stuck on the memory you have

10. motrek macrumors 68020

We don't know that he even needs more memory. It sounds like he might just want it because he thinks it will be an easy and quick upgrade as it was with older laptops. No need to return anything to the store just yet.

11. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...lver/2712009.p?id=1219076158205&skuId=2712009

why would I put in the memory? either I go to best buy to install it or the apple store.

They didn't have in stock so he wrote the numbers down so I try other places
    Also don't much on it at the moment so can get the second set of 4gb so i can 8.

12. newellj macrumors 601

You are missing what people have posted above. It's physically impossible to add more RAM to that computer. The only way to "upgrade" the RAM is to buy a new computer that already has 8GB installed.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The RAM is soldered onto the Logic Board of the Macbook Air...you (or any technician) CANNOT upgrade it.

[​IMG]

The red box is the RAM.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

Hm ... :confused:

----------

You need to carefully read what was written in this thread.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The spec you quoted from Best Buy's website is just wrong. RAM cannot be upgraded on the MacBook Air. It doesn't matter what is in stock at Best Buy. Apple cannot upgrade the memory either. If you buy a 4gb computer, it will always be a 4gb computer.

If you are convinced that you need 8gb of RAM you must return your computer to Best Buy and purchase another one that already has 8gb. If Best Buy doesn't sell the configuration you want then check the B&H Photo website, they generally have every configuration available for immediate shipping.

But as others have pointed out, you haven't explained why you need 8gb of RAM. Most likely, 4gb will be enough.

16. motrek macrumors 68020

I think the Best Buy stock management system might list the MBA RAM as upgradeable because you can get a different SKU with more RAM. It might be a quirk of their system either due to mis-entered data or it hasn't been updated to account for laptops with non-upgradeable RAM.

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I edited my post above after looking at the link the OP posted (see the specs tab). It clearly states that you CAN upgrade memory, but it's wrong. As we all know, you cannot upgrade RAM on the MBA.

You might want to complain that you were misled by their website and sales staff...

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The best Anti-Malware tool I've used is AdWare Medic.

19. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

after reading from and of course before and during talking to an apple guru.

I like to have it maxed but it is fine.

20. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Sure you can... you can buy a new logic board with 8 GB on board...

.... that will only cost you $450. :D