Finally got an iPad 2! Few questions please

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mac maniac, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mac maniac macrumors member

Im over the moon with this ipad! If I could just figure out a way to do these two things then it's replacing my MacBook until I get the pro.

AVI/DIVX/XVID movies

Pretty much all my movies are on external hard drives, I've been trying to figure a way of getting them of my HD onto the iPad without using iTunes on my MacBook or iMac. (kind of defeats the object of me getting this ipad if i need to crt my macbook everywhere with me as I work away from home)

Is this impossible or is there a program and USB/wifi device out there that lets me do it? I'd love a sort of drag & drop program but can't find anything. How do you all get around this problem?

MS Office docs

Nothing fancy just want to download, save, edit then resend my invoices so they can be read in Word and shift roster in Excel by my boss and clients who dont have Macs. I've seen the Numbers & Pages apps on iTunes but will these open MS Office docs and let me do the above? Someone's mentioned that MS Office will be coming out for the iPad...is this true and any thoughts n the release date/prices?

Any help appreciated as I'm stuck!:confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As far as the office docs. are concerned...Pages from the itunes app store will do what you want....If you want to have more control over the documents, Goodreader is another must have app.

As far as your movies go, I can't think of a way you can do that on your iPad without converting them using Handbtake on your Mac.

3. mac maniac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the swift reply.

I'm downloading pages & numbers from the app store now. Just looking on my iPhone and it's also available there. Do I need to purchase this again for the iPhone or can it be synced through iTunes on the original purchase?

I've got good reader on my iPhone but couldn't get the hang of it....I'll try again today. Just trying to build up a few handy office type program's for when I can't access the MacBook or iMac.

This iPad's a cracking machine! Should have got it ages ago!!!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You should be able to install that on your ipad if its for both. Just check the "Purchased" tab in itunes on your newbie. Take a look at Goodreader too. Enjoy your new iPad:)

5. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Howdy mac maniac, Try FlexPlayer for your videos. It allows you to transfer them within the app itself through iTunes on your computer. Works a treat for me and I have avi's, mp4's, and mkv's.