finally got an iPad ... and apparently now the Verizon nightmare begins

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kcsr, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kcsr, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

kcsr macrumors member

After spending a week searching, I finally found a NIB iPad 2 w/ Verizon 3G. Since unboxing it this afternoon, I've spent hours trying to get it activated with Verizon. After the last call to Verizon support, they flat out told me that I just need to keep resetting it until it (magically?) works, and gave me the # to iPad support.

I've tried just turning the device on and connecting. Tried connecting to iTunes first. Tried to activate on the Verizon website. Tried to activate on the phone. Tried resetting it a billion times. Re-provisioned repeatedly. Reset network settings, etc etc etc. Until about 30 minutes ago, I could at least get a Verizon signal, but now I can't get a signal at all.

No instructions came with the device. There are no instructions on the Apple site (it refers me to the Verizon site). There are no instructions on the Verizon site.

Anybody been able to find instructions, or somebody at Verizon who knows how to fix it?

Thanks.

2. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Hah... And Verizon spent all that money ripping AT&T. Sorry you're having trouble, but I've had both iPads now with AT&T and activated them both with not a single glitch. Not hearing very good stuff on Verizon. Good luck with your Verizon "there's a map for that" service.

3. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply dado2g. I've been through Apple support now, and they did at least confirm that the iPad is legit, has a valid serial #, etc. They sent me back to Verizon support and told me that Verizon activation is managed and supported by Verizon.

At this point, I guess my plan is to keep resetting the iPad over and over until it activates with Verizon, or the iPad explodes. How toxic is the battery acid in these iPads?

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I suggest you take your iPad to your local Verizon store, if you have one, and ask them to assist you. My store was very helpful setting up my cell phone.

5. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion Ashwood. I'll give that a try in the morning.

6. skids94954 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with the 3G, no connection. I called verizon support and they had me check a few setting and then resent a command to the iPad and after turning off and on again it worked fine.

7. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

spent the morning on the phone with tech support. verizon said i need to call apple, apple said i need to call verizon. problem is that my iPad2 is not in verizon's system ... and thats why i apparently can't activate it. verizon told me that i should just return it to best buy.

11 hrs and counting trying to get this resolved.

8. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

and back to apple support, and then back to verizon support. finally got transferred to somebody at Verizon that apparently knows what to do. he told me to NOT return the iPad2. he said he just needed to submit an internal form to get my iPad2 MEID added to their system. takes 24-48 hrs to process, and then i should be good to go.

9. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I suggested you go to your local Verizon store but you decided to continue to call instead. When you are standing at the counter in the store they are much more interested in helping you resolve your problem because other customers are watching and waiting. Please let us know how this works out for you.

10. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help Ashwood11. I would prefer to go to a Verizon store, but work is interfering with my quest. Hopefully the calls today will get the issue fixed for me, but I may have to wait 24-48 hours (according to Verizon) to find out if it's fixed.

11. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

Meid was added to the system and now posting from iPad via Verizon. Thanks for help folks. :)

12. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Great news!

13. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

FWIW, as disappointed as I was with the initial support (spent hours trying to get it fixed), Verizon pretty much made up for it by getting the issue fixed same day, and by calling me back this afternoon to let me know it was fixed and to be sure I was happy. :)

14. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Good to hear. Good luck and enjoy your new pad!

15. seanpholman macrumors regular

Very cool that you are up and running. I wanted an AT&T model, but settled for Verizon. Setup was quick to add data, under 5-min total. Still trying to decide if I want to keep the Verizon iPad or go for the AT&T model, but so far I like it.

--Sean