Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maryann0350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Hello guys,

I'm a long time lurker. I have been using an old blackberry for the longest. I believe it is the curve. I'm one of those old fashioned person that only buy things when things are broke. I finally mustered up and bought an iphone 5s lol. It is a great phone. I love the sleek design. I went ahead and bought a case for it as well because I don't want any scratches. I have a big question though. I'm an accountant. I sometimes bring my usb to work because I have my own office. I'm a little worried as if my data, pictures, personal information, personal emails won't be transfer to my work computer? I'm a little scared and worried. This is my first iphone. I have had macbooks before though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello guys,

I'm a long time lurker. I have been using an old blackberry for the longest. I believe it is the curve. I'm one of those old fashioned person that only buy things when things are broke. I finally mustered up and bought an iphone 5s lol. It is a great phone. I love the sleek design. I went ahead and bought a case for it as well because I don't want any scratches. I have a big question though. I'm an accountant. I sometimes bring my usb to work because I have my own office. I'm a little worried as if my data, pictures, personal information, personal emails won't be transfer to my work computer? I'm a little scared and worried. This is my first iphone. I have had macbooks before though.
No worries. This is an iPhone. That means that the only way you could possibly transfer any information via the lightning cable connection is if you physically opened up iTunes and manually initiated a sync.

Now, it's possible that if your work computer has iTunes installed that when you connect your iPhone to the computer iTunes will open up and try to sync. There's a setting in iTunes Preferences under Devices to prevent that. Just check the box to prevent automatic syncing of iPhones/iPods.

If your work computer does not have iTunes then you have nothing to worry about.

Apple has only allowed Windows computers to access iPhones as a mounted drive, but has kept that limitation to the camera roll on the iPhone. Unless you jailbreak, you cannot access the iPhone as a physical drive using a Mac.

Hope that helps.

Oh, welcome to the iPhone community!

Maryann0350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Thank you so much! I was so worried. None of The computers at work doesn't have iTunes. I did notice that when I first plug it in to the usb it ask do I want to trust/ don't trust. I click untrust. The reason I'm worried was that I think I transfer some of my photos to my home computer already because my 5s memory was low. After I charge it on work computer the pictures showed on my phone again. I don't know for sure if I transfer those photos to my computer though as I had so many photos. Just to make sure if I'm getting this right and relieve my worries. That computer must have iTunes in order for photos, data, emails, music to be imported to the computer? Sorry I'm being dumb. I'm new to the iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are using a Windows PC the camera roll can mount as a drive. You would have to go directly to it through My Computer and then manually pull those photos off in order to have them load on to the PC.

So, technically for photos no, you don't need iTunes, but it is a manual process that would require your attention to do. For the rest, yes, you would need iTunes.

Maryann0350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
One more question guys. So the computer would not do a automatic backup right or automatic transferring. I have to manually or physically do it for that to happen? I'm just really paranoid about it.

I just don't know how some photos I took a few months ago suddenly shows on camera roll. The only reason I could think of is that I charge my phone again once I got back home from work. I sync photos through Itunes and did a backup at my home computer. So probably charging it again on my home computer made the photos come back on camera roll again?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Welcome to this new (sensible) world! iPhone is awesome! better os better keyboard, better everything really!

So you removed done pictures from the device at work. Went home and charged it on pc. Came back to work to find when you plugged it in done pictures returned that you had previously deleted?

Maryann0350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
No I mean I already removed those pics by deleting them on the phone itself. I charage the phone at work. Then when I got home I charage it some more on my laptop using a usb cord. The pictures reappear. When I first got the phone i think mI set up a backup of it by syncing it through itunes. At that time I was trying to transfer some photos from my pc to my phone .

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
One option if it still doesn't sit right with you is to get a wall charger and leave it at work. It will charge faster than USB from a computer too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.