Finally got an iPhone!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shuffles, Sep 15, 2008.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I jst got an iphone yesterday. I wanted to get the 16gb white version but they didn't have any in stock and i'd been trying to get one for ages so I finally caved and bought the 8gb.

I was wondering....now that I have activated my O2 sim card, if I were to sell my iphone and buy a 16gb one from ebay would it work with my sim card or does the sim only work with the phone that it has been activated with?

I really want the white version! Also, I asked the guy in the shop when I was buying it if I cud upgrade to the 16gb white version when it came into stock and just pay the difference but he said I cudn't! Is this true? I thought I would have been able to because people who owned the iphone 2g could upgrade to the 3g version even though they hadn't completed their 18 month contract and so didn't have an upgrade. I thought it would have been the same as this.

By the way, I bought it in Ireland if that helps.

Cheers!

2. Aurial macrumors 6502

Hi shuffles,

You will be fine using your O2 sim in any iPhone, it's only other networks sims that don't work.

As for exchanging the phone for the 16GB model when it comes into stock, you've got no hope. The only two routes that are open to you are:

1) Sell your 8GB one on ebay (which I suspect you're already considering), and buy the 16GB when it comes into stock.

2) Return it within the 14 day cooling off period and get your money back. (Better check the terms and conditions first as there may be some limitations on use).

3. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

r u 100% sure that my sim card will work in any iPhone. The last thing I want is no iPhone at all!

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

YES ! You should be able to exchange it given O2's general return exchange policy which will apply to all the phones they sell, check on the back of you receipt or call Customer Care to check because You can exchange and pay the difference in the US.

5. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

even better still, is there a way for me to put the white back on this one? I was thinking of getting a 120gb classic for all my music and if I did, I wudnt be really bothered by the 8gb capacity

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

If you bought a white back, and felt comfortable voiding your warranty, then yes you could put a white back on that phone.

7. rannddeee macrumors regular

I was able to upgrade from 8gb to the white 16gb. I went to the apple store because my 3G had dust under the screen and a little bubble on the back. I went to one of the sales associate for assistance and not the genius bar. While in the process of getting an exchange I asked the associate if I can upgrade to the white 16gb and I'll just pay the difference. He said they're not supposed to do that but he let me anyways. You just gotta find someone cool and converse with them for a bit.

8. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

was jst tlking to customer care n the guy said that If I bring it back within 7 days I can ask them to reserve a 16 gb white one for me n then I can pay the difference when it comes in. Wat do u think?? I mean, I'm prob getting a 120gb classic anyway. Is it hard to put on the white casing? I saw there were 2 screws at the bottom of the phone. Is that it or is it more technical?

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Future thread Prediction: "I took apart my iphone and now it won't work--will Apple exchange it?!"

I wouldn't take it apart if I were you. I've already had one warranty replacement for the iphone 3G and if the same happens to you you'll be stuck with a huge bill.

10. icewing macrumors 6502

Take it back and get the 16. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it...

11. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

ure prob right. I'll ring the o2 shop tmi n see way they say n then take it from there. I'll keep I posted.