Finally got around to upgrading my late 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fusion79, May 17, 2017.

1. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I finally got around to performing some upgrades on my late 2010 Macbook pro. What prompted me was the battery finally dying and no longer charging, requiring me to open it up anyway to change the battery. Got a 240 GB SSD and bumped my RAM up to 8GB. Wow, my MBP is now running Sierra very well. Boots up in under 20 seconds, apps open almost instantly, no beachballs, and overall everything is much snappier. It's like a new machine.

And this reinforces my hesitance to upgrade to the newer MBP's. To swap the battery, drive, and RAM took less then 20 mins plus the time to install the OS and migrate data to the new drive. For less then $300, I have extended the life of my already 6 year old MBP for several more years to come. I could not be happier.

2. Gav2k, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Great little upgrade that most of us advise people do on here. Band for buck wise it shows how much of a bottle neck the old platter drives really were

3. ExcelTronic macrumors newbie

ExcelTronic

sorry... I thought you had a 15" or 17" MacBook 2010. The max RAM the 13 inch 2010 can have is 16GB, so in the future upgrading again is a possibility!

4. Fusion79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have known for a while I needed to do this, but I had not been using it as much as I used to so I was putting it off. I just started working on my masters and knew I needed something. I thought I would try this because I really didn't want to buy a new machine. I could not be happier.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The big thing you didn't get is the massively improved battery life. But yeah, if you don't care about that, sweet!

6. Skika macrumors 68030

Or a retina display, a pretty big thing.

7. Fusion79 thread starter macrumors 6502

But I have a perfectly capable machine that meets my needs and I saved $1200. A pretty big thing in my book.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

Oh no, im not arguing against that. I hope your machine serves you well for a long time seems like you made a great upgrade.

9. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 15" Pro that I upgraded with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM several years ago, and it's been working like a champ ever since. It's not worth much on eBay or the like, so I keep it around for a backup computer and just to beat around on the Internet. It's a great little computer, and will probably go to my grave with me.

10. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Was going to ditch my 2009, but did the same upgrade. 500 evo ssd, 8gb ram and aside from the battery and newer thinner size, no reason in my need to upgrade. Usually stays plugged in at a desk with external monitor.

11. Fusion79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I misunderstood.

The main reason I posted this was to demonstrate how well these computers can still work with easy, fairly low cost upgrades. The fact that Sierra is now runs so fast on an almost 7 year old machine is so impressive to me. Yeah, I am missing out on some features in the OS and better battery, display, ect. But I can say I am getting my money's worth out of this notebook.

That makes Apple's decision to make the new Macbook Pro's very difficult/impossible to upgrade a sad development in my opinion.

12. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Nice!

I'm still using my 2010 (13") and 2012 (15") MBP. I've upgraded mine similarly and they are awesome!

I agree, it's a great low cost way to upgraded. They meet my needs and I have no desire to upgrade!