Finally got MBP. Glossy screen is AWESOME! No need to stress.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macproguy77, Jul 19, 2009.

1. macproguy77 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I don't like glossy screens in general.
    I looked at the new MBP in the store and the screen looked washed out.
    I even posted a thread or two complaining about the screen here at macrumors.. lots of people agreed with me.
    I stressed and stressed about it, back and forth, back and forth.

So anyway, I still really wanted one and the more I looked at it, the more I thought. oh well i can live with it..

So I purchase the 13 MBP last week, and I get it home and I have to tell you.

THE SCREEN IS BEAUTIFUL.
    All my worry and stressing about it was for nothing. There is no problem with the screen, infact it is the best laptop screen I've ever seen, AND the only one I don't have to run at full brightness.

When you get it home, It looks completely different from how it looks in the store.

One plus to all my stress,
    after all my research about the screen, I learned about screen calibration profiles from you guys, so I downloaded a bunch of peoples color profiles, found one that looks really good and now the screen looks even better...

So, I just thought It was only fair for me to come back here and recant after trashing the screen in a previous post.
    I was totally wrong, its awesome. Anyone on the fence should leap now.

Thanks for listening,
    -Mike

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I've always enjoyed the glossy screens, both on my iMac and MBP.

The iMac is really nice because it never faces any windows or lights, so I never really have a glare.

The MBP, depending on where you are, you can get some crazy reflections happening, but I learned to live with it.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Go take it somewhere outside your house (Starbucks, other WiFi spots, park, etc.) and then give a report. I used my laptop to cover soccer games, and it would've been a nightmare with the sun setting behind me if I had a glossy screen.

4. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Agreed, outside is a nightmare waiting to happen.

5. sclough macrumors regular

Yes, the glossy is beautiful if you have absolutely nothing behind you. For those of us that work with windows, lights, and other things the reflections are a constant pain. I tried a PowerSupport anti-glare screen and it introduces too much speckling but when I took it off after a couple days the reflections were back and reminded me just how difficult this screen is for some of us.

I'm glad you're enjoying your screen and it is very bright and crisp with good colors, but the reflections are still a major issue for a lot of us....

6. srexy macrumors 6502a

I've just upgraded my 06 2.33ghz matte 15 to the 2.53 late 08 model and the one comment I'd make is that in bright sunshine although there's little to no reflection - my matte screen would be completely washed out by the bright light. I've yet to try out my glossy screen but I'd imagine that as bright as they are this won't be such an issue.

7. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

Im not the biggest fan of glossy screens as my imac is facing a window, most of time its quite bright outside and i have to turn the brightness way up or close the blinds to stop looking at myself all the time. I also think that the colours look to strong compared to my samsung monitor i use.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, a notebook should always have the option to be Glossy or Matte because of how you can take it anywhere (where lighting changes).

I love matte but I wouldn't mind having a glossy MacBook Pro except for one thing, and that is the screen is covered in glass.

It bothers me that a notebook, a portable computer (which may be dropped/thrown around), has glass which can easily crack. The same goes for the trackpad. I know the glass trackpad is there to make it more pleasurable to the hand but at what cost?

I've seen threads where people's glass trackpad has cracked. I never saw an ordinary trackpad crack before.

9. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i WISH glass book pros were like that...
    i take my laptop around ie. school campus
    and boy the glass is terrible....

do you have some kind of special glass that's different from everyone else's?

10. 1ne macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be great if apple can design a switch/software with a flick of a switch or click it can change to glossy or antiglare? :rolleyes:

11. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

it'd be great if toyota made their camrys change into a boat

haha just playing around