Finally got my first Mac - 17" matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benchobi, May 4, 2009.

1. benchobi macrumors newbie

I've been lurking on here for a good while and thought I'd drop a note to say "thanks" to all who contribute here. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 17" MacBook Pro with matte display and other than the price tag I'm quite happy with the purchase. For all other lurkers who are on the fence, read on for a little more detail on how I arrived at this purchase.

I don't do desktops. Not that I don't like desktop computers, but my lifestyle dictates I need a notebook for day-to-day operations. Considering I'd rather have exactly one computer, I wanted to get something that would serve me well at home and on the road for several years. For this reason I knew I wanted at least the 15" model, so the Pro line was my only option. Fortunately, there's an Apple store about 30 minutes from work so I head down there one day to play with the goodies. I've always loved the glossy display, but after seeing the matte side-by-side with the glossy I knew which one was for me. Yes, the matte isn't as sharp. Yes, the glossy display is gorgeous. But, I couldn't deal with the screen glare and knew this would be a deal-breaker since I would be using my computer in various lighting conditions. Since they don't make the 15" with a matte display, my choice was pretty much made for me by Apple. After three days I'm still tickled with it.

Coming from Windows, there's software I have to run under Windows as there's no Mac version. I knew we had Boot Camp as an option, but I wanted to try a virtual machine first to prevent having to reboot each time I needed a Windows app. Yeah, you have several commercial options, but I chose to try out VirtualBox first (it's free for personal use). So far this little program has worked well for me. It has taken everything I've thrown at it. I don't plan on running Windows games, but all of my Windows apps seem to be working fine under VB.

Moving to a Mac has been fairly painless (except for the wallet hit).:p No regrets here.

Cheers!:D

2. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

Congrats!

Glad to hear your happy with your matte MBP! Mines being shipped as we speak and a positive voice always soothes the jitters.
    Share a picture if you have a chance.....drool....always nice to see pictures....:cool:

3. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Congrats! Hope you love your 1st mac as much as I loved my 1st one--and as much as I love my current one! :D

4. omegasyn macrumors regular

The mbp 17 with matte is the best ever. I ended up selling my mac pro, macbook 13 unibody, and macbook 15 unibody just for the 17. So far I've never looked back and the battery has lasted me 7:30 hours on average within a single charge.