Finally got my MBP and installed Linux and Windows, but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tokiopop, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Like the title says, I've installed Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP (not using bootcamp) on my MBP as I mentioned in an earlier post.

I messed up the Windows partition the first time around, so I started again, but everything went fine the second time around. I've now got them all working, and rEFIt installed.

Some of my problems are (well, I can't really say anything about problems in Windows since I left my disks with the drivers at home... but after I install them I'll see if my problems still occur, such as mouse not working and the graphics card not being recognized) that there's now a second drive on my desktop, which isn't a problem, but it's called Untitled and I can't rename it although I'd like to because it looks a bit ugly.

My real problems are that in Linux the monitor is not detected, so I can't select the appropriate resolution, I can't restart, many buttons don't work such as eject, I think some of the buttons might be mixed up (after setting the keyboard up to English (United Kingdom) Mac), multi-touch doesn't work, cannot right click with trackpad, again graphics isn't recognized like in Windows, and many other small problems.

So, I guess I need some drivers for Linux? But I can't seem to find any at all! So at the moment, Linux is pretty useless to me. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for reading all that :D

P.S. How am I meant to press ctrl alt delete in Windows without a delete key? :confused:

2. boobooq88 macrumors regular

Let's see....

Both of the issues dealing with the GPU should be solved once you install the drivers (both of which can be found on Nvidia's website). Wifi on windows should work once you get the drivers from the OS X disk installed on there. To get the Nvidia linux drivers on linux use a separate PC/Mac or just use windows on your current Mac and save it to a USB drive and copy it over once you boot back in linux. Then you can install it normally (need help? there's tons of documentation on Ubuntu's site as well as a how-to on Nvidia's). I would assume once you have the Nvidia driver installed you'll be able to set the screen to the right resolution.

As for the trackpad and keyboard in Linux... those require some tinkering but it is easy to find the info needed. Just do some google searches and/or browse around on Ubuntu's forums (they have a section devoted to Macs btw). I know you can get multi-touch working in Ubuntu but don't know how myself since I don't have a multi-touch Mac.

As for WiFi in Ubuntu.... I can't say much.... again just some google searching and forum browsing. :-\

But on the windows side... all your issues should be solved with the drivers on the OS X disk.

3. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I HAVE been searching Google. That's all I've been doing, and when I find something it's outdated, wont work, or is for the old MBP.

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Just curious why you didn't install Ubuntu and Windows in a VMware Fusion virtual machine. I did this and my guest OS's installed and operated without any issues. The install was so simple. VMware comes with VMware tools that addresses all the driver issuers.