FINALLY Got My Replacement (Wk41) Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aidanpendragon, Oct 19, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

It took since Sept 21 - this is actually my 3rd replacement (4th in total). And very preliminarily, this new Wk 41 looks much better than #3, a Wk 38.

Real tests will have to wait until I get to my comp and can put the same videos on it (why can't you transfer your own, non-DRM'd material off onto another comp?)

But simply going to the brightness settings screen, the difference is immediately obvious: the Wk 38 is darker at any level, and has a much more greenish cast to the screen. I showed them side-by-side to someone in my office who's never seen a Touch and didn't know which was the new one. He instantly said "that one's a lot brighter" - the Wk. 41.

...just put the Jay-Z pic on. The Wk. 41 has NO shimmers or negatives at any angle. Side-by-side to the Wk. 38 is striking.

FYI, both are running 1.1.1 firmware, and both are 1C7xx serial numbers. So I'd hope that helps conclusively answer two questions:

-It's not "just a software problem that got fixed by the firmware update," as some diehards continue to claim. Same factory, same firmware, obviously different screens = hardware issue in earlier models. The software patch really is just a crutch.

-Apple does seem to have retooled their lines to correct this issue - again, same factory, same firmware, different screens. I still think the long ship times on these (7-10 days), and numerous delays I experienced, are in part due to this.

My closing advice:

-If you have a defective Touch, raise holy hell (politely) until Apple replaces it with a satisfactory one. Good Touches do seem to exist, and no one should have to settle at this price point. Don't let anyone tell you (as one Genius tried to do with my bum Wk. 38) that it's "up to spec."

-If you want a Touch, try to order online from Apple & get one direct from the factories (newer) - or barring that, don't settle for an old serial #. I personally went through 2 Wk. 37s & a Wk. 38 that were no good. Now not all old serials are *bad*, but if you want the least hassle & most certainty, aim for a Week 40 or higher.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh geez...the mere fact that I'm on here saying "the Touch has a good screen" (compared to all my past comments) should be proof enough! :D

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

True, but we're curious to SEE the difference. :)

I have a Week 38 I'm perfectly happy with, but just curious to see comparison pics.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

boom

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes, there are PERFECT Wk 37, 38, 39 models.

I've compared two perfect wk 38's to two week 40's and ther has been no difference.

7. chrismball macrumors newbie

My week 38 had a great screen, except for it had a craptastic amount of stuck pixels.

8. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

I also just got a replacement touch...a week 40.

Previously, I had a week 38 but the screen suddenly stopped responding. I guess this problem is rather unique as most people seem to complain about the negative black screens.

I haven't had a chance to try out the video but if it's an improvement, that's great. I didn't find the week 38's video horrible, but it could have been brighter.

9. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

I'm very happy to confirm that my new week 40's screen is noticeably better than my previous week 38's screen. I just loaded Batman Begins and Transformers (which I also had on my week 38).

As I said, I didn't find the week 38's screen horrible, but after seeing the screen of my week 40, I have a basis for comparison and it definitely looks better (not as dark or saturated).

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

11. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my old one's on the way back to :apple:, but the head-to-head difference was akin to Macworld's pics of Chinatown in their review - http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/ipodttouch/index.php. Imagine those without the brightness all the way up & not as washed-out - a darker & greener screen from my Wk 38, while the Wk 40 is much closer to the iPhone's (left).

Jay-Z pic (from the thread here) was similar - Wk 40 was all blacks & grays, the Wk 38 had a greener/browner tint to it. And, at certain angles, it went shimmery/almost negative. On the Wk 40, there's no angle that the pic goes negative (although some are better than others).