Finally got rMBP 2.6 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portcontrol7, Jan 30, 2014.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

2 weeks without a computer is torture. My old MBP was a 17" antiglare 2.5 late 2011. I thought I would miss the 1.6 inches but this rMBP is so friggin rad I don't. The display is so gorgeous and what really struck my was how light it is and thin in comparison.

Props to Apple for replacing my old one after several repairs. I must be the only Vagrant in Los Angeles with a top of the line 15 inch rMBP. I'm talking 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, the works! Haha, I am king of the homeless! And if anyone tries to take it from me my little pal Melissa has something to say about that!

Oh yeah, migration assistant isn't working so getting the old data over is turning into an ordeal, but I don't care. This rMBP is so awesome that it challenges Jehovah for supremacy. It does battle with Pallas Athena on the plains of the Peloponnese. Man I'm stoked. Gonna make a documentary on surviving in Los Angeles whilst homeless with this bad boy!

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Enjoy your macbook pro man! Wish I could afford one haha no one can resist that display

3. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ionjohn! I can't afford one but thankfully Apple stuck by their product and after several repairs on the old one they replaced it. 2 motherboard fails 3 HD fails. SSD should alleviate the HD fails (knocks on wood). Stocked!

4. RMXO macrumors 6502a

did you get the DG (discrete graphics) version? I'm thinking of getting the 2.3 DG 750gb or 1TB version. How do you like it so far?

5. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

All of the 2.6 come with the discrete GPU so yeah RXMO it's got both. Seriously, I do not miss the 17" display in the least. The tradeoff in screen quality as well as the lightness and thin-(ness?) more than compensate. Don't even miss the anti-glare.

6. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Negative. The 2.0GHz 15" rMBP (with iGPU only) can be upgraded to 2.6GHz.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I can't get migration assistant to work either, not sure why, does it need to be hardwired?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice to see apple step up and give you a new laptop due to your problems.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Two weeks doesn't sound so bad. I was without mine for 6 weeks. Also ended up with the 2.6 maxed.

10. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Nice man. Enjoy your new machine. I'm surprised how thin and light it is in comparison to my older cMBP which is slower. It kinda feels like a 15" MBA but fast.

11. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

For a free up grade from Apple is always welcomed but if had to pay and make a choice between the one with dedicated GPU versus the IRIS PRO that requires some serious thinking. Dedicated GPU have their own problems !

12. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

After some time spent with a senior Applecare tech on the phone, we concluded that it isn't possible to restore the user account from Time Machine!

And as far as recovery mode and installing from it, not allowed. It say's something like this is a different model of Mac and therefore no no no.

So I am MANUALLY restoring everything, which is taking me days, but I still can't complain because this baby is a delight to work/play on. Thumbs down on Migration Assistant being unable to.... migrate? Pretty weak there.

----------

Well during the last HD failure, the senior advisor said "If this happens again, you have my word." Happened again, so they kept their bargain.