Finally got the fan to spin up

budfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Loaded up Fortinet's threat map in Chrome: https://threatmap.fortiguard.com/

Fan spun up about 2-3 minutes after having it up.

It's rather quiet. The air did get hot right by where "Macbook Air" is on the bezel (coincidence?).

Overall, not a huge sound like the older macbook/pros.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
The only time the fan really got busy for me was running the Migration Assistant and transferring 250GB to the new rMBA. At that point it was also warm in the top center where it says "MacBook Air". But since then it has been cool and quiet. No complaints about this one. I'm getting quite comfortable with it.

Reactions: HenryDJP

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Mine runs from a few minutes after boot/wake until a few minutes after I close the lid. Non-stop. Running Office apps and Safari only. Nothing significant.

Maybe I was just spoiled by the silence of my MacBook but this seems excessive to me?

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
The only time the fan really got busy for me was running the Migration Assistant and transferring 250GB to the new rMBA. At that point it was also warm in the top center where it says "MacBook Air". But since then it has been cool and quiet. No complaints about this one. I'm getting quite comfortable with it.
I have yet to hear it. It’s bizarre. My 2017 NTB Sounded like a jet engine all the time.

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
I have yet to hear it. It’s bizarre. My 2017 NTB Sounded like a jet engine all the time.
That’s crazy your 2017 ntb was so loud.

My 2018 13 i7 is always silent. Fans literally never run unless I have it on a blanket.