Finally got the sticky digital crown issue...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bruceabbott, May 8, 2015.

1. bruceabbott macrumors member

After a good shower in the rain, this evening I'm noticing the digital crown sticking. It's not super annoying by any means. Just a little disconcerting. Those who have experienced this, does it go back to normal after a while?

42mm Space Gray Sport

2. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

There's a thread on this already somewhere. There's instructions from Apple in it telling how to rinse it under water to clean it out.

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I also got it today. When I went to use the crown this morning, it wouldn't turn at all at first, and then grudgingly did. I think it's because I sweat quite a bit yesterday when I was wearing it. Just turning it pretty much solved the issue, but I did do the "run under the tap" approach that Apple is recommending just to be sure. A little disconcerting.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Apple is not good with moving parts. Putting a mouse wheel on a digital watch was a big mistake. This is only 2 weeks after launch, and already thousands of sticky knobs out there!

5. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Sticky Knobs... I think they're playing at The Viper Room tomorrow night.

6. dilap macrumors 6502a

Happened to me after I ran it under water, it just dried and the stickiness went away.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

"Sticky" Crown appears to be nothing more than some type of gunk building up between the Crown and case. This doesn't appear to be any kind of hardware issue and would be the same on a traditional watch crown except you pull out a traditional crown to use it thereby freeing it from the gunk. All :apple:Watch needs is the gunk removed by cleaning and cleaning requires water. People need to stop being afraid to wash their :apple:Watch at the vary least per Apple's instructions. It is not an iPhone or a MacBook, it is a water rated (IPx7) and sealed wrist watch.

8. bruceabbott thread starter macrumors member

I just found it ironic that I was good until we had a downpour of rain and it got a bath. I'm guessing the minerals in the rain gunked it up pretty good. The warm rinse seems to have fixed it.

9. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Well, is IS a hardware issue due to bad design (the choice to use a crown as a miniature mouse wheel in the first place was a bad decision).

It's only been 2 weeks since the launch, the problems with gunk will grow as a snowball given enough time.

10. a2bucks macrumors member

The next crown needs to not be a crown at all. Make the entire right side of the watch a touch sensitive surface. You zoom or scroll by running your finger up and down the right side between two buttons and the screen.

11. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

I agree, possibly salt from sweat in many cases and and cold water is the cure here.

Waxy debris like waterproof sunblock could require some additional thought though.

I was actually pondering some of the observations that folks had about the problem starting after rain though and I'm wondering if ther may be some silicone grease in there by default. I would avoid warm water washes unless absolutely necessary until we see how this plays out because softening that grease if it's there may bring on the problem.

12. sam223 macrumors member

This is so true. Remember the Apple mouse with its small track ball? It used to get stuck very easily

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have worn mine in the rain once so far with no problems. Also I (and most) shower in warm water (probobly Tim Cook too:D). I have now showered (all warm to very warm) about 15 times with my :apple:Watch and it works just the same.

14. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Well, as I said, it's like looking at yourself in the mirror for 15 days, seeing not getting visibly older, and proclaiming that you're forever young. Let's give it a year-two........