Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
This is something that has bugged me for years, when I don't have enough space on my phone I can't buy a movie and download it later. This is made to be more annoying by the fact that when I do have enough space, it gives me the option to buy it now and download it later!

Thankfully, that seems to have changed, and I've just been able to buy a movie that was 5.8GB when I only have 4GB free :)

I'm not sure if this is iOS 10 or a change to the iTunes store though

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While some users use this as a trick to free up their device storage space when not enough. I mean: buy a movie which is super large, and "cannot purchase because storage is not enough", and repeat, until available storage is the same or larger than movie size.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You've lost me there I'm afraid
Then first, sincerely sorry for confusing you.
Second, here is what I actually mean.
Previously, users bought 16GB devices frequently suffered from deleting apps, photos, music etc I order to free some spaces for, say, iOS updates. Then, some users noticed a trick:
When buying a movie in iTunes Store, if device available storage is not large enough to store that movie, iTunes Store will say "device storage is not enough". Interestingly, device available storage will increase about 200MB after this failed attempt, and this "failed attempt" can repeat, and available storage will increase 200MB each repeat, and user is not being charged in all of those failed attempts.
Now, if what you mentioned in OP is right, then this trick no longer works.

Hope I am clear this time.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Previously, users bought 16GB devices frequently suffered from deleting apps, photos, music etc I order to free some spaces for, say, iOS updates. Then, some users noticed a trick:
When buying a movie in iTunes Store, if device available storage is not large enough to store that movie, iTunes Store will say "device storage is not enough". Interestingly, device available storage will increase about 200MB after this failed attempt, and this "failed attempt" can repeat, and available storage will increase 200MB each repeat, and user is not being charged in all of those failed attempts.

It's probably a iOS 10 new feature then because I just did the trick yesterday on a device running iOS 9.1 without any trouble.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK

Ahh ok thanks for clarifying, I had no idea this was a thing!

I did try buying a movie last week on iOS10 Beta 1 and was unable to, without deleting a few podacsts and messages, so it's definitely only started this week

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
Looks like this restriction has been reapplied, or it was a bug that allowed me to buy a movie without sufficient space previously? Either way, it's back to stopping me from buying without enough storage :(

Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Looks like this restriction has been reapplied, or it was a bug that allowed me to buy a movie without sufficient space previously? Either way, it's back to stopping me from buying without enough storage :(

I've not been using any of the betas, but I noticed a similar change, then change back again, recently. For the brief period it was possible to buy movies without enough space, it was incredibly useful for snapping up the 'Blockbuster July' films on offer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.