Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I been wanting for so long. and finally got the standard 14" ibook. Now, it is just there empty and i am not sure what to do with it.

What are the cool stuff/programs to download with it? Any starter manuals? I been using windows all my life and I have no idea what to do with.

So far it is amazing. And everything is so simple and clean. All I have been doing is just ripping my cds and putting them in my ipod.

My ibook gets so hot. Any tips to cool it off? And why does it get so hott? I ran the quick hardware test that came with the cd. and it says everything is fine. I also did the battery calibration it said to do in the manual that came with it.

Also any standard rituals i need to perform since its my first mac? I'm excited and this laptop is so neat.

Thanks for all your help.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Whistleway said:
My ibook gets so hot. Any tips to cool it off? And why does it get so hott?
Tips? Don't put it directly on your lap/ pillow/ blanket-- the vents are all around the sides and doing so will impede it's ability to cool off. Use different pads that are built for laptops. I really like the iLap design and will probably save up to get it eventually. Others swear by the iCurve... or also popular is the Targus CoolPad. I use the Targus traveller coolPad because it is much more compact and fits into my tiny notebook backpack and isn't bulky/heavy.

As for how 'hot' your 'book is running-- I'm not sure what temps are considered normal or not, but after using my 12" PowerBook for the last year and now using a 12" iBook-- the iBook is way way way cooler temperature wise. Sorry, I know that that's not very helpful.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Whistleway said:
I been wanting for so long. and finally got the standard 14" ibook. Now, it is just there empty and i am not sure what to do with it.

What are the cool stuff/programs to download with it? Any starter manuals? I been using windows all my life and I have no idea what to do with.

So far it is amazing. And everything is so simple and clean. All I have been doing is just ripping my cds and putting them in my ipod.

My ibook gets so hot. Any tips to cool it off? And why does it get so hott? I ran the quick hardware test that came with the cd. and it says everything is fine. I also did the battery calibration it said to do in the manual that came with it.

Also any standard rituals i need to perform since its my first mac? I'm excited and this laptop is so neat.

Thanks for all your help.
Just check out the Apple site under OSX.
No need to buy anything out the gate. Lots of cool software. iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand.

I recently got the 12" iBook. Created a little movie for a friend. Lots of fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.