Finally, I got my MBP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phannon666, Apr 2, 2008.

1. phannon666 macrumors regular

After months of scrimping and saving, I went down to my local John Lewis in Watford yesterday, grabbed a sales guy, said (in a few more words) "Want that one!" and I went to the til, scared the crap outta me putting £1,299 on my card, when upstairs to collect it and I was the happiest guy on earth. Got it home and what an experience, just very pleasant all round. Did an OSX re-install, checked the keyboard backlight, all the usual first-time recommended things and no problems.

Now I'm broke til I get paid, haha. But when I do get paid I'm gonna grab an XP OEM license (absolutely necessary as I'm a .NET developer) to run under bootcamp, a Logitech MX Revolution and a lovely neoprene sleeve. Can someone recommend a UK site for sleeves barring amazon? Checked the guide but there's so many websites and they're almost all American from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, I didn't make any unboxing pr0nz, my gf would have thought I was very odd...:D

Ta muchly.

2. Sogo macrumors 6502

Cool, enjoy your new little buddy...Also, why did you reinstall OSX? You could have simply deleted the software you didn't want...

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I always reinstall my OS - lets you opt out of GBs worth of printer drivers and language translations you'll never use.

4. phannon666 thread starter macrumors regular

As joefinan said really, its also a cleaner process, doesn't leave any crap lying around that way :)

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Does OSX let you choose to not install language packs and printer drivers and such?

Congrats on the mac btw :) I hoped my first one would come today but no luck :'(

6. JoshLV macrumors regular

Congrats. I got mine today also, and can't get away from it :D

7. JoshLV macrumors regular

Congrats. I got mine today also, and can't get away from it :D

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes,as you work your way through install process there's a customize button that allows you to
    to de-select what you dont want installed

9. daferrisda macrumors member

Agree a re-install is the best way to go, I also selected not to install iDVD this saved me loads of space as well.

10. joefinan macrumors 6502a

What if you want to burn a video DVD??

Did you opt out of iMovie too?

11. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Stick to XP Pro whatever you do.. Dont put windows vista on it - the machine becomes so hot i swear i could have fried an egg on it.... Vista wrecks the machine. I started off with Vista Ultimate on the MBP and i slowly moved everything off vista onto the OSX side and hen formatted machine of tiger and bunged leopard it, moved everything off my External Hard Disk and i was in heaven, pure blisss.

12. phannon666 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh don't worry, I won't be touching vista. XP Pro all the way, especially due to the nature of my work.

13. weckart macrumors 68040

I run Ultimate on mine, and my CPU idle temps are around 43C, a degree or so lower than Leopard.

14. applegoddess09 macrumors member

applegoddess09

Congrats on the MBP. Got me a MB a few weeks ago.