Finally I have ordered my Macbook Pro (Arrived)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldaria, Apr 14, 2008.

1. eldaria macrumors member

So after signing up for the list of people who would order when the Penryn came out, I finally got the finances together and just put in the order for my MBP.

MacBook Pro 17-inch
    200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm 065-7485
    2,5-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 065-7729
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB 065-7475
    Country Kit 065-7490
    Apple Remote 065-7483
    Toetsenbord (Internationaal Engels) & Mac OS (Internationaal Engels) ZH065-7487
    Breedbeeldscherm met glanzende toplaag (1920 x 1200) 065-7484
    SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW) 065-7480

Expected Shipping Date: 17 April.
    Expected Delivery Date: 25-28 April.

I wonder where it is shipping from, since it takes that long time to deliver.

Well looking forward to get it. :)

2. ricpac macrumors member

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Ships from Shanghai, China.

Mine too around 5 days I think to deliver so you should be fine too.

Is this your first mac?

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

be sure to run it good to identify any potential problems, there have been some issues with Apple's QA, hopefully your experience is positive.

cheers

5. uplusd macrumors 6502

Congratulations! Upgrade it to 4GB ram and you will have an awesome system. Enjoy.

6. eldaria thread starter macrumors member

Ouch, ok that explains the time frame.
    But that puzzles me even more why they told me I could not get a Swedish keyboard layout unless it is delivered in Sweden, or ordered a non built to order model.

Oh and Yes, this will be my first Mac, although not first time using one.
    Well you could say it is the first time using a newer generation Mac, since last time I used one was I think it was Photoshop 4 or 5 on a PowerPC. :-D
    I was working in a Image scanning company, and they had some really neat machines.
    Was retouching Raw images made for Billboard size, easily reaching 512MB in size, and it had no issue what so ever doing that.​

7. eldaria thread starter macrumors member

Well I Plan to, but right now the money only lasted for 2GB, and I knew already it would be cheaper to upgrade later on.
    I will also add the AppleCare later.

Well I hope it will be good, I have told all the people who were asking why I got an expensive Mac , that I got it for that extra quality.

8. eldaria thread starter macrumors member

ok, so Today it arrived, and I was like a kid at Christmas when the UPS guy arrived. :)
    I missed him the yesterday since I had to go to work in the evening.

Now that I have used it for some hours, I have some questions though.

When I ordered the Macbook I had the choice between Dutch Layout and US International, I wanted Swedish layout, but according to the lady on the phone it was not possible to order a custom config with Swedish layout when not living in Sweden, this was only possible if I ordered a standard config.
    Since I wanted the high resolution LED screen and the 7200rpm drive, I had to pick US International.
    I don't mind that, since I got used to that on my PC while living here in The Netherlands.
    However now that I received it, it looks as if I got a US layout and not the US International.
    See the difference here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US

Both Alt keys are normal Alt keys, but on a US intl the right Alt key should be Alt Gr, also on mine there is no Euro sign.

I have tried to manually configure the layout in the "International" in System Preferences, but there is no US International, although there is a US Extended, but it does not add the Euro sign or any other keys like the US international, it does however change some keys, but both Alt keys are still acting the same.
    So did Apple ship me the wrong keyboard?

The second thing I ran into is a minor thing, but it is actually back to the fact that I have no Right mouse button.
    I love the multitouch, and I have no issues navigating around in OS X, just takes some time to get used to. :)
    However, I also play games, and one I play frequently is World of Warcraft.
    In this game Holding left mouse button looks around, Holding Right Mouse button Changes the direction you walk, Middle or Left+Right Walks and looks at the same time.

How do I do this on my Mac book?
    I got the holding left mouse button to work, either by using the big button, or by double tap+hold, I can also use the two fingers tap, to perform a right click in the game, but I can not figure out how to hold down the Right mouse button.
    Doing the same as left but with two fingers does not work this instead activates the scroll wheel zooming in and out.
    The Holding both left and right I don't really need since I mostly use the keyboard anyway to move back and fourth as well as strafe.
    But I really need to be able to hold the right mouse button to be able to change the direction I'm walking, since using the keyboard is not precise enough.
    Using an external mouse is not an option since I have R.S.I and can not sue a normal mouse, on my Linux Desktop I use a wacom pen-tablet, but that is a bit big to carry around. :)

I also noticed the left side of the keyboard just above the speaker, get's very warm when gaming for a while, I guess this is where the GPU is located, but is it normal and safe?

And lastly, do you guys have some recomendations for some software to get hold of, preferably Open Source, but some nice freeware/shareware is also nice, i'm pretty broke after buying the macbook, so no super expensive stuff. :)

Love my new MacBook Pro, looking forward to many years with it. :)

Brian.

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Buy a USB or Bluetooth mouse for $10-$25 for your games. You can use any old one (Microsoft brand works fine :)) and you'll get the right click function you're used to, and you won't destroy the touchpad playing games on it.

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

For WoW, buy the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse. I used that for WOW for a long time. Sometimes the right-clicking is iffy, but I think that was more me clicking more toward the center than the right.

I would also recommend an external monitor. You can get one that's 20" for under $300. You need all the room you can get for WoW. In fact, I sometimes found 20" to not be enough.

12. eldaria thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunatly due to the R.S.I, mice and me are no good friends, this is why I have used a Pen Tablet on the desktop.
    But I guess there is no good solution, I will have to limit my gaming to when I sitting at the desk, where I have the tablet. :-/

I actually already have a very nice Dell 24 inch wide screen that I use for my Desktop PC, but since my Laptop is now more powerful than my Desktop I will probably retire it and hook up the mac to the external screen for my gaming. :)
    And some nice Dual 1920x1200 screen action. :-D

Regarding the software.
    I was more thinking about what you are using, things that you just could not imaging living without. :)

13. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

In that case:

Adium
    Handbrake
    VLC
    Blender

Everything else either came with it, or I purchased.

14. asmallchild macrumors regular

Good source:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=571489

Personally, I like (most of these options were culled from the above link):
    Firefox
    Adium
    VMWare Fusion
    VLC
    AppCleaner
    iWorks
    Office
    Quicksilver