Carrier Finally leaving ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigJohno, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Hi all,

I'm going to finally be leaving ATT after signing up with them with the first iPhone. I'll be switching to Verizon when the iPhone pre-orders open up. My question is, can I sign up for a Verizon phone through the Apple Store on pre-order night using my same phone number? should I sign up for Verizon prior to buying the phone? Just not sure the order of operations as I would like to get my order in for the new phones before they sell out for months.

Thanks for help!

2. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Gosh maybe you should call Verizon. Maybe They will have a clue....

3. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

You should be able to set up your new account and preorder at the same time

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Will take awhile if signup when servers are slammed.

5. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks guys for the info!

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hope you're not used to surfing the web and talking at the same time. You can't do that on Verizon unless you hit a cell tower that supports VoLTE. I've been with Verizon over 10 years and that's one thing I disliked about Verizon.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you have LTE coverage with Verizon, and many people/places do, then you are certainly fine in that respect. Also if you are on WiFi.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I haven't even thought about this in years. Verizon's LTE coverage is impeccable. There's really no need to worry about having LTE to make VoLTE calls.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. on a GSM network like AT&T and T-Mobile you can talk on the phone and still have Internet connectivity. On CDMA networks like Verizon unless the tower you are connected to supports VoLTE you can't actually talk on the phone and be connected to the Internet at the same time so if someone e-mails you or sends you something over iMessage you have to end your call to receive it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2016 ---
    That's not true. Im in L.A. and have LTE coverage pretty much everywhere on Verizon but unless the tower I'm connected to supports VoLTE I can't actually talk on the phone and have Internet connectivity at the same time. This is one feature I miss when I was with AT&T a long time ago. Like I explained to Channan a lot of the time I have to end my phone call to receive data from an app.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's odd. I have yet to be in an area where I have LTE coverage that doesn't do VoLTE.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's better than it has been when VoLTE debuted but it's not perfect yet.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

...their entire LTE footprint supports VoLTE already. This is a non-issue.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

This is what I was about to say. I didn't realize Armen was implying some LTE towers don't support VoLTE, but they all do. As long as you have LTE, you can make a VoLTE call, and there are so few places I've found in the past couple of years where I drop to 3G.

14. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

I'm just north of boston and in towns outside the city, like Winchester or parts of arlington you will be call dropping if you keep voice and data enabled.