Finally, Live sports on your iOS device

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iPad.Lover, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

2. brettatk macrumors regular

Strange, I have access to ESPN3 because I have AT&T DSL yet I'm not allowed to access video with this app. Oh well, hopefully I'll have access soon.

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Best way to get live sports and live EVERYTHING on your IOS Device is Slingbox with Slingplayer. Lifesavers when out of your home area and wanting to watch your local teams :D

4. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

5. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

I have sling box too but man the resolution is not that perfect I hope they fix it soon.

6. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

Trust me it will soon

7. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

I hesitated before I relpied to you because I'm an anti-Barca. Anyway google, watchESPN.

Hala Madrid

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

9. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Picture quality will auto-adjust to the available bandwidth. Not a Slingbox issue.

10. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I hope so. It's a small one--direcPath. Same company that provides direcTV in my condo building.

I'm stuck with them as the internet is included in our condo fees. Other than not having ESPN 3 I can't complain though as it's relatively fast (10mbps down) and reliable (hasn't been down once that I've noticed in nearly a year of living here.

So I can't complain. I had Comcast before. It had ESPN3, but I had lots of problems with slowdowns and outages and 3 out of 4 places I lived and had their service. And that's my only other internet option in this building anyway.

11. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

nope. i use it in my university campus and the speed like 120 mb. there is no comparision between the resolution on the pc/laptop and the app's. they need to fix it as soon as possible, btw i have Sling Pro-HD

12. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

i feel u. anyway, try to use VPN it may work

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I'm wondering what may be causing the issue you are experiencing, mine comes in better than I expected. Are you using your device on Wifi? May be your connection?

14. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

man the resolution is watchable and HQ too but you cant compare it to the resolution of the slingplayer in your laptop. I don't see any reason why Sling Media doesn't want to fix it. the app also has bugs. last update was in February for Airplay only

15. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

gtfo!!! how old are u?

16. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's a good idea. I work for a university and have a VPN we use to use some software that's network license when off campus. ESPN3 works on campus, so maybe it will work while connected to the VPN. Will give it a try some time! Thanks for the idea!

17. bossxii macrumors 68000

It's called bandwidth. If your UPload speed can push out 1.2 to 1.5 consistently and you have a good fast connection outside your home it's perfectly clear. As close to HD as you can get on a 10" screen. On my home network it's a perfect picture.

Most people with a cable ISP like Time Warner get 15mb down but are cap'd at 1mb up which end up being more like a 600 to 800kbps stream up. I have 25mb/5mb UP from Surewest and can pull a 1.2 to 1.4 download streaming on my iPad on ATT's 3G at work or just a bit higher on Wifi at various friends/family members homes.

18. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

19. Stefx73 macrumors regular

On mine it looks as good as it can on 1024x768 screen. When high bandwidth is available, it looks nearly as good as the DVDs I transfer to my iPad.

Of course it doesn't look as good as my higher res laptop screen. That's normal and expected.

Nw, you may have 120Mbps (I assume you meant Mbps, not mb) but the bandwidth will be limited by your home internet's upload speed.

As a test, run the app within your house, on the wifi.

20. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

i dont think so

21. Stefx73 macrumors regular

It's not about opinions
    The iPad screen has a lower resolution than my laptop. A 2000-3000 kbps H.264 or even MPG2 video stream will look better on my higher resolution laptop screen than on my iPad.
    That being said, it still looks great on the iPad, no issue with the app or the hardware.
    When it does not look good is when only 500-700 kbps of bandwidth is available.
    Also, lots of residential home internet services have a high download speed, but only 1-2Mbs of upload speed.

22. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I love my slingplayer, but the poster is right. The iPad app looks lousy compared to a laptop on the same connection. It has nothing to do with bandwidth or the iPad screen. MLB.tv and Netflix play in super high quality on my iPad. The slingplayer app for iPad is lousy.

I rock a 25/15 Fios connection at work and at home and on my laptop sling box looks hd quality while iPad app looks DVD quality at best.

23. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

finally someone says the truth. man you're the best.

24. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

who told you it's my opinion. it's fact. sling media have to work on the resolution. go read the reviews on iTunes you may change your mind