Finally made the jump to the Mac..was it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by YEEZY, Jul 29, 2011.

1. YEEZY, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

YEEZY macrumors member

After having a very bad Dell computer through my high school career, I figured I deserved a nice computer that wouldn't totally crap out on me. The aforementioned laptop eventually earned it's nickname as a "craptop" because of the 256mb ram it carried and it being the 11lbs beast it was.

SO, I had to decide between an Air/Pro last week and I had reasons to get both. And last week I made my choice: The Macbook Air 13" i5/128 gb SSD.

Why I didn't choose the Pro
    Although the Pro can definitely handle anything I throw at it (used it at school for all my designing/video editing needs), I felt like I would want a bigger screen resolution so I would be comfortable with what I was working with. Although Lion came out with full screen app support, I decided that I just liked having a bigger screen to work with.

Also, I don't even use CDs anymore! What a waste of space.

What I like about the Air
    This was a day 1 purchase for me. I know that the machine was hyped up for awhile, but I can honestly say it was worth it. Portability, speed, and even power. It literally has it all.

• The backlit keyboard isn't the main feature that was added, but definitely a plus. Nice to work with at night, and it looks cool. Doesn't really take away from the battery, but it can be turned off.
    • The Thunderbolt port is nice, and I'm glad that it's backward compatible. I'm hooking it up with a miniDisplayPort-to-DVI cable to my 22" external monitor at my dorm. So far, so good. The text is smooth and the screen is huge.
    • SPEED. It runs everything I throw at it. Photoshop. Team Fortress 2. FCX. I'm usually running a couple of apps at a time and the fan rarely spins up.

What to dislike about the Air
    Having the Air for a week allowed me to pinpoint some features I've disliked about it. Hardware wise, nothing is faulty. I think the problem is mainly this: OS X Lion.

The biggest peeve for me was the removal of the Flash Accelerator. The fans don't spin up if I'm running a couple of CPU-intensive apps, but they do when I'm watching a YouTube video or just video chatting. Don't get me wrong, the computer is really quiet, but at least the fan is doing it's job.

OS X Lion also has a bunch of features that people don't like. Having to switch between the 'natural' scrolling method to the traditional up-to-down mouse wheel method we all know gets confusing, and takes awhile for me to get used to it when I switch between the methods. Of course, you can turn this off. The resume features also always opens up Finder for me when I turn on my computer to a random folder from Steam. It won't go away, even if I disable opening windows after start up.

IN CONCLUSION
    No regrets in buying this machine. It will hopefully last me til the end of college, but I'm very satisfied with it. Apple, you've done it again. Just comply with Flash more. Oh, and come out with the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter already!

2. mfldmike macrumors regular

YES, you absolutely made the right decision. I was a Windows user a year and a half ago and switched to Mac without EVER looking back.

At first I couldn't "get it," I thought a Mac was hard to use and confusing...that is UNTIL...

I took a step back and realized that I was trying too hard, if anything it's really easy to use, it was Windows that corrupted me. I just purchased the 11" MBA just for the portability reasons, and love it...

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

4. Tokay macrumors newbie

This is a brilliant argument! I feel the exact same way.. I was always trying to outsmart the computer. But guess what, sometimes it had better ideas about how to do stuff.. :)

5. YEEZY thread starter macrumors member

Very true! Don't think I'll go back after how easy things have been for me. But I think this picture explains it better :D

[​IMG]

6. mfldmike macrumors regular

I wonder if McDonalds has something to say about that?

NEVERMIND: I guess it IS McDonalds related

7. YEEZY thread starter macrumors member

McDonalds is seriously turning into a new Starbucks-esque place with all the new drinks and stuff. And now with the easy setup wi-fi with Macs there, I might not even need to pay for an ISP anymore :cool:

8. shadowjeff macrumors regular

When was high school ever a career?

Anyway congrats on your purchase; was thinking off switching to the same laptop as you did, from a sony laptop.

Another reason why you're loving your MBA so much might be probably because this is your first upgrade from a pretty old laptop.

9. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

High school... a career?

You gen yers are becoming more terribly unbearable with each new revision :)

(JOKE)

As far as flash on youtube is concerned you can get youtube5 for Safari (there is similar extensions for Chrome and FFox if thats what you use). Its an html5 converter...

Its less resource intensive...

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Speaking as a Gen Yer (I guess I am, 1980? I don't think I'm Gen X), I wouldn't classify someone who graduated high school today as a Gen Yer... but if that's the case, well crap.

Anyway, enjoy the new Mac. I absolutely love mine. I thought I wouldn't like it at first (hence why I waited until I could dual boot windows on it), but damn.... OS X is too pretty to hate :D

11. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

And last year I made the switch. I was an avid Apple hater and I used netbooks then ultraportables from Acer. Then I realized that the Air existed and creamed over the 2010 one, through $1800 at it, and damn was it amazing.

So I started hating Apple less. Now I dropped Android after being a huge fandroid a few months ago (bunch of Android phones and a Nexus S as the last one) for an iPhone 4. Once again, no regrets.

To express my fandroidness.... I bused to Best Buy at 7AM before they opened at 8AM to get my hands on the Nexus S on launch day. And it was blistering cold, and I waited outside for an hour by myself like a retard. The second Nexus S person came at 8:15 while I was buying mine.

Not to mention I make 1-4k a month from the Android market lol.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

What's the summary of the book, the suspense is killing me :D

13. skier777 macrumors 6502

why are you asking us?

sounds like a yes to me.

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

15. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a