Finally made the plunge - what about WDDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jharvey71884, May 24, 2014.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

To a 13" retina. Traded in my 2011 Macbook Pro 15" in fear that my GpU would go out. Upgraded to 8GB of ram on 13 inch so it had to be ordered.

My question, who expects a Macbook announcement at WWDC? Thinking I might not open until then if I get before just in case.

2. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

I have the same thoughts. Airmiles is giving 10x the points at the Apple Store and the deal expires this Thursday. I want to get a laptop but what happens if there is a spec bump/price drop at WWDC?

I'm looking at a 13" rMBP as well. And yes...I know if it is a bump it is going to be a small one, but still. It's the principle of the matter.

3. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Was told I get 14 days on returns, just don't know if it's from today when I ordered, or when I receive it.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, in my opinion, the most we can expect at WWDC would be a processor bump (like the air just received). That too seems unlikely (I'm not sure whether fresh processor with the iris (pro) iGPUs are out yet or not). Your investments are secure. There's almost no possibility of a full refresh or any major update.

Regards
    Raptor

5. majkom macrumors 65816

Usually, at least at apple store, it is 14days after receiving an item.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Your return window is only 14 days.

When they refresh the rMBP either at WWDC or later in the year (more likely) it'll only be a tiny speed increase much like the Airs were, really not worth waiting.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't expect anything. Apple has a history of focusing on the iPhone during WWDC, and there's not really much to update on the MBP until Broadwell hits the streets. Imo a small spec bump isn't worth the time during the keynote.

8. majkom macrumors 65816

Again and again same misinfirmation - wwdc 2013 - haswell air introduced, 2012 - retina macbook introduced

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the data in our Buyers Guide is accurate regarding the MBP, I'd say Apple will be releasing a new one this year - probably not at WWDC this time though. As I understand it, Intel has to release their new Broadwell chips first, which, may not come until the holiday's according to this article.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I said Apple has a history of focusing on iPhones, I didn't say they never introduced MBPs. Look back through out the prior WWDCs and you will see that a new MBP is an exception not the rule. :rolleyes:

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I just purchased my rMBP 13" and love it to death. Not concerned with what apple announces at all. Trying to beat the system as far as timing electronics purchases is a suckers game! Just buy what you desire and enjoy it. It's that simple.

Even if they announce some incredible new thing regarding MBPs.... It doesn't change how happy I am with mine. And that's that!

12. kyriostrife macrumors member

If refurbished and open box deals go down in price then it will be significant. That's what I'm concerned about.

13. RandomCitizen macrumors member

You need to call Apple and talk to a rep with your concern. I'll leave it right there and not go into more details.

I've had mine 10 days and I called with the same concern. Just call them. Don't reference me saying this.

14. mario-64 macrumors regular

Nvidia maxwell 800m series dGPU

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

As others said, there's no immediate concern that a MBP bought now will be "outdated". For a significant change, Intel needs to release the new chips and that's been delayed.

16. thekb macrumors 6502a

That's pretty cryptic, RandomCitizen. What are you implying happens after 10 days? Is there some super secret warranty extension?

17. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Simply Mac didn't the order in and won't at the earliest until Monday, so looks like if there is an announcement, I will be able to exchange perfectly well.

18. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

This may be off topic, but how did your Simply Mac purchasing experience go? I'm looking to trade in my 2010 MBP 13" for a rMBP at the end of the summer and they have pretty decent looking trade in offers.

19. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Hehe he's speaking as if it self destructs.

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Makes me tempted to open mine if Apple will take it back even if they release something new (only purchased today because I got 10% off).

21. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i don't tink there are actually upgraded chips yet for the rmbp lineup like there was for mba

22. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The best you could hopeful on Monday is a minor speed bumped MBPr. We won't see anything of interest until Broadwell is released in the fall.

23. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I highly doubt they will announce a new mbp.

It's from when you receive it.

----------

He has 14 days to return it.

And no, the CIA are not watching you ;)

24. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Might be. But spec bump and saying I have a mid 2014 are better for resale purposes in a couple years when I upgrade.

----------

Great. Felt like I was at Apple. Their trade offer on MacBook Pro was better than I could have sold online or Craigslist.