Finally made the switch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cmg568327, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Cmg568327 macrumors newbie

So I finally went to all apple products after purchasing a MacBook Air 2012 to replace my HP. I absolutely love it so far, but could use some suggestions on must have programs, especially a program that will clean up useless files like Ccleaner for windows. I know its available for Mac also, but is there anything better out there? I'm looking for something with a somewhat simple user face since I'm still new to OS X. Thanks in advance

2. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

I recommend purchasing CleanMyMac. There's a free trial so you can give it a test run. It works great.

Also, my advice for a new Mac user: Backup your data using Time Machine. It's built-in and it requires another hard drive. Either external or internal works.

Congratulations on your purchase!

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Congratulations on your new purchase. However, you should get out of the Windows mindset. You are in a new land. You should learn new ways. Cleaner utilities are a waste. Veteran Mac users do not use them. Newbies should not use them.

My recommendation is to learn your new machine. Search popular shareware sites like MacUpdate.com and Download.com. By all means, search the Mac App Store til your heart's content. Each of these sources has marvelous freeware, fantastic shareware, and essential commercial software.

4. Cmg568327 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will definitely check that out. Thanks for the advice!!!

5. Cmg568327 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded Ccleaner for the time being just because I'm familiar with it. I really do want to get out of the windows mindset and I have been researching OS X and even bought the OS X for dummies book so I can get a better understanding about the system. The main complaint that I've been reading as far as OS X is concerned is that it holds on to unnecessary files and after a while can cause some serious clutter if not maintained and I'm super OCD, so I really want to prevent that before it becomes an issue. If anyone has a link in how to manually remove these files without the use of a program it would be much appreciated. I've tried Youtube for tutorials, but yet to find one that gives a good block of instructions for new users such as myself. Again I appreciate all of this feedback guys/girls. #

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

1. You don't need antivirus. It's a waste. Practice safe computing, and you'll be fine.

2. For word processing some will argue iWork while others say stick with Office if you're familiar with it while still others say OpenOffice and other open source programs. Do what works best for you.

3. When installing printers you (usually) don't need the install disk for software and drivers. OS X comes with drivers for most printers pre installed. Unless you actually use the bloat ware, you don't really need it.

4. You have your choice of web browsers. I like Chrome personally, but Safari is good for a pre installed program. Firefox is also a good choice.

I can't really give advice on cleaning out old system files. I do the worst thing of dragging files to the trash that have something in the name from an old program (rim is a big one since I used to have a blackberry synced). I'm surprised I haven't messed something up yet. If you don't feel confident distinguishing between unneeded and important files, I wouldn't recommend doing this. The good thing is there isn't really a sys32 equivalent in OS X, so you can't entirely mess things up.

Welcome to Mac! I was happy to make the switch, and I hope you are too.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Generally applications like Ccleaner, Clean My Mac etc... are a waste of time, and are only really useful if you are experiencing problems, even then Onyx tends to be better. Well they can help a little if you have almost no disk space left.

Those apps can also 'clean' too much causing issues, or they only clean caches which just slows your computer down while the caches are rebuilt.

8. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I am a fairly recent Mac convert myself. I wouldn't worry about running cleaner apps. I have a MBA so I was worried about wasting storage space. I ran monolingual to free up a little space from unnecessary language files, but other than that I have done nothing. I keep an eye on my storage space and there are no huge chunks of space missing that might be taken up by "misc" files or anything.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

As others here said, I can definitely confirm that stuff like CCleaner shouldn't be used unless you've got a problem. Macs don't need maintenance like PCs do.

If you feel you MUST do something, open Disk Utility every now and then (couple of months). Run a Permissions Repair & then reboot computer.

Also, verify the disk every few months (also through Disk Utility) to ensure you don't have any corrupted sectors. Other than that, OS X pretty much runs itself. I know it's a really weird thought coming from Windows, but you have to step back and just trust it works; you don't need to monitor/look after it like a small child.

Don't bother with CCleaner and stuff like that, or any other cleaners. Anti-virus isn't required as it just pretty much detects Windows threats. Don't worry about a firewall (although OS X has a built-in firewall if you really want to activate it).

Remember to get into this mentality; trust OS X. It speeds/cleans itself up, you don't need to worry about doing that for it! :D

----------

Definite no-no, don't go down this route. Stuff like this does more harm than good.

cledet's right about Time Machine, though. That's excellent.

10. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Why do you disagree with using CleanMyMac?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend using CleanMyMac or any of its variants, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.
    Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
    You don't need any such app for OS X. Just use your Mac and enjoy it.

This may be useful:

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Excellent post, GGJ. +1. This myth that Macs need user maintenance seriously needs to be busted. :)

13. musukosan macrumors regular

Something to keep in mind. In general, all the files that an App needs are usually contained in one spot, unlike Windows. Each App is like a container. So when you drag and drop an app to the trash, that usually deletes all the files associated with the app. This leads to a lot less clutter, again, unlike Windows. There are exceptions though.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most apps have some associated files that are not included in the app package. Typically, these may be small files such as preference lists (plist), but occasionally there are very large files that are not part of the .app package. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

15. Cmg568327 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input :)

----------

Thanks again to everyone thats posted. I think over the last 24 hours I've learned more than I have in 3 days of reading that damn "OS X for Dummies" book. You guy's/girls are the best and I look forward to referring to this site in the future (Which will probably be sooner than later) Thanks again!!! :)

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Welcome to Mac, I am glad you left Windows. I have used CCleaner on my Windows PC for long time. I tried CCleaner on my Mac, so far no problem, also I tried Onyx, had one problem with wifi got messed up, the interface is bit complicated for me. and lastly, CleanMyMac is good, it cleans almost everything like languages, Rosetta (Your MBA might not have this), etc. I hope you enjoy your new MBA! :apple:

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Regarding those cleaner apps, read post #12. Based on the number of user complaints that have been reported, CMM is not good. Such apps are unnecessary on OS X, but if someone insists on using one, Monolingual is a safer bet for removing languages and architectures. I recommend exercising extreme caution when using any such apps, as problems can occur if the wrong things are deleted. CMM has a well-deserved bad reputation among users, so I would not recommend it to anyone.

18. LongSticks macrumors 6502

The only thing I use!

If your trialling and downloading software as others have mentioned, the only thing I use is AppZapper which is pretty good at clean software removal. Worth it in my view.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps, and AppZapper is one of the least effective of such apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

OP: also keep in mind that when you purchase an app from (Apple's) Mac App Store, when you want to delete that app, you simply drag it to the trash can. Magically, you have deleted just about ALL FILES (with a few exceptions) associated with that app.

The trick is, when you purchase an app from Mac App Store, Apple "wraps" all the associated files on that program into a single folder which stores everything. THAT folder (called a Package) in turn is visually represented by the app's program icon, located in the Applications folder.

Therefore, when you want to get rid of the app, Trashing the app's main icon (not an alias) from the Applications folder will also delete all the package contents/files associated with that app. This is a relatively "clean way" to get rid of an application that you want to erase from your Mac's hard drive. It's also one of the advantages of buying from the Mac App Store (as opposed to installing from a CD, DVD, or from other online web stores, which often litter your Mac drive with tons of associated files in various locations)

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

App Store apps are no different than apps installed from other sources when it comes to deleting files. All apps, including App Store apps, can leave behind components such as .plist files or caches when you move the .app to the trash.

22. Cmg568327 thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard about this program called DetoxMyMac.
    Does anyone have any info on this one.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This category of utilities is not necessary and should not be used. It is not necessary to ask about every individual title. To do is to ask which of these useless utilities is least useless.

24. LongSticks macrumors 6502

That told me!

Apologies for bad advise! I better go hunting for files and read up........