Finally make the jump to Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gordo1234, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Gordo1234 macrumors newbie

Newbie here,

Just wanted some advice on my next purchase. I do a lot of design work which consists of anywhere from Autocad to indesign by adobe. I also do some web design work. I am in need a of a new computer. I want to purchase it in the next 2 weeks hopefully. My budget is around $2000. I've been comparing both MBP's and IMac's. I don't have a preference since I only travel a couple times a year for work. Anyone else work with autocad and which is better in your eyes the screen real estate or the mobility? I have never used Autocad for mac is it the same or worse then the windows version?

These two i've been looking at:

15-inch: 2.3GHz

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

$1,799.00

27-inch: 2.9GHz

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB (two 4GB) memory
    1TB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

$1,799.00

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Performance aside, it really just comes down to if you'd prefer a laptop and 15 inches or a desktop and 27 inches.

Nonetheless, for a good deal on price, I'd recommend checking out refurbs, Amazon (new and used), MacConnection, open-box Best Buy, and heck, even this list from AppleInsider: http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

FWIW, I'd get the 27in iMac if I was doing all sorts of design. I do circuit design/layouts myself, and I can only stand doing it on my 13in MBA for a short while. Definitely prefer my 27in.

3. Gordo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. Ill take a look at those sites.

4. MacAPOL macrumors member

MacAPOL

iMac all day. I have a macbook pro 13' and an iMac 27' (mid 2011). The 2012 imac is a beast! It's 2000 bucks the one with the mx675 which is amazing.
    I'm a graphic designer, and i spend all day on the imac, not so much on the macbook. For you, the big 27' ips panel will be a huge advantage, so dont hesitate and go for it.

5. Gordo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the more and more I think about it the Imac sounds like a better investment.

6. Serban Suspended

Take the imac even the graphic card 660M is a lit better that one from mbPRO.
    So go for that imac from your list!

I have a macbook air 13" late 2012 and an imac 21.5" also late 2012 but the imac i use the most. When i travel i take the mba with me and continue what i was doing on my imac. Is that easy

7. auhagen macrumors regular

I have a 13' mbp, and autocad is just fine on the screen.

But you will love the resolution and screen size on the iMac over the 15" on the mbp. I like the ability to make simple cad drawings on my MBP, but when i want the screen estate, I turn on the iMac, and thats when the magic happens.

If you traveled a lot, I think the MBP would be a better choice, but since you dont do that, go for the 27' iMac! You will love it, and absolutely not regret it.

About your question how autocad is on mac, its a whole different layout. If your used to only type in commands, you will be fine, but if your used to the ui interface on windows, it might be a challenge.

But if thats an issue for you, do a bootcamp install of windows and run it like that, when your working, or use parallels and use it as a windows app in osx.

8. Gordo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm used to just typing in most of the commands. Does it make it slower when you run autocad thru bootcamp or parallels?

9. auhagen macrumors regular

Bootcamp = full speed
    Parallels = depends on the machine configuration.

Bootcamp will always be faster, since its only running one operation system at a time :)

10. Gordo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it thanks

11. cxc273 macrumors regular

Given your parameters, I would go with the iMac.

I'm going to throw another idea out there for you ... what about buying the 27" Thunderbolt display and pairing that with a Mac Mini? If we're working with a $2,000 budget, you could buy a refurbished Thunderbolt display from Apple for $899, and pick up a Mac Mini with 8 GB of RAM and a 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7 processor for for $999, compared to the i5 processor in the iMac. Of course, you'd have to purchase a keyboard and mouse or trackpad too.

It's not nearly as elegant as an all-in-one iMac, but the setup would allow you to upgrade your computer and keep the monitor.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

12. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Another vote for the iMac. Those machines are absolutely beautiful and very powerful.

If you think you'll need a more portable setup later, get a MBP and a thunderbolt display from Apple. It's gonna be a little over the budget (less if you go with the refurbs) but you'll get both portability and power.

I use AutoCAD for both Windows and Mac and didn't notice a lot of difference (except the layout of course). I'm a beginner though so I haven't played much with it and can't tell you for sure how different they are.

13. Gordo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never thought of this. Thanks for the idea. Ill look into it.

----------

Yeah I've heard from a couple of different people that Autocad is similar for both systems. I don't really want to spend more then 2 grand right now the only reason I would spend more than that is to upgrade either the Imac or MBP.

14. Qodo macrumors newbie

I've been using MBP 15' with AutoCad on it for about 3 years already (architecture). Also it's my primary working device and I don't have any other computers (except for iPad, of course!).

I didn't have any troubles with it or any second thoughts. Actually, even if you're not a traveler, it doesn't mean you won't need the mobility of your laptop. I don't take it outside a lot but I can work anywhere at home or take it for a meeting.