Finally .me email syncs properly?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sk1wbw, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I just noticed this the other day that if you delete .me email on another mail application, say Outlook, and then look at the iPhone a few seconds later, the email is deleted even if you didn't open up the mail app on the iPhone.

It has never done this before iOS 6. Anyone else notice this too or am I the only one?

2. chipfiev macrumors member

I've noticed this too.

I guess I thought that's how it always should have worked. I never really had working push email from iCloud in iOS 5. It was so bad that I had an AppleCare ticket open on the issue. After four or five months of "trying", my Apple advisor called to say the issue had been fixed and I'd see the correction in iOS 6...so I assumed iOS 6 behaved how it always should have.

3. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

It's an improvement in iOS 6. My first gen iPad is still on iOS 5 and it doesn't work properly there.

4. Deako macrumors 6502

Glad this is resolved in iOS6. Push email was broken from iOS4 though imo, not just iOS5. I got fed up of rebooting my phone to get push working again.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Hmmm, this isn't my case. I have a 4S on iOS 6 and a MBA on 10.8.2 and my me.com mail isn't syncin that well. If I get a new email, it shows up on both my 4S and MBA. If I read it or delete it say on my MBA, it still shows that I have a new email on my 4S, until I go into the app then it refreshes itself.

Could it be a setting? I have my 4S email set to Push and Fetch is on Manual.

6. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

What about under the Advanced settings? I have iCloud set as PUSH.

7. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Same, it's set to Push under Advance. Also, my iCloud email is the only email account I have on my phone.

9. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

PUSH status updates would be amazing. My understanding is that the PUSH email spec wasn't designed to push status updates (read, flagged, deleted, etc.), only new incoming emails. Apple would probably have to design their own mechanism to support it. Accordingly, it would probably only work for their own email service (iCloud mail). Still I'm hopeful that they can somehow add this feature to exchange email accounts in iOS. We'll see.

10. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

Well, it's working for me and lots of other people I talk to on Twitter. :)

Update: deleted a new email in Outlook and it immediately got deleted on my iPhone 5 without even having to open the Mail app.

11. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Do you know if all those people using Outlook? I'm using Apple's Mail app and it doesn't work for me. Would be ironic if it only worked with outlook.

12. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Well I don't have iCloud so I can't test that but my Exchange emails still aren't getting synced until I open the mail app.

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Not working for me either. Only updates badge count after I open the mail app.

14. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That always worked.

16. madsci954, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

madsci954 macrumors 68030

Update: As I said before, if I check my new emails on my Mac, it doesn't update on my phone until I launch the Mail app. However, if I check emails on my iPhone, it does update the Mail app on my Mac without having to open it. Some bug or a setting in iOS I'm guessing.

17. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That's how its always been. Don't know why the OP is seeing something different.

18. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Just to confirm what the OP is saying. On iOS 6, if you receive a new email and see a red unread badge on all your devices, reading the message in Mail.app on Mountain Lion causes the badge to disappear on your other devices automatically.

Big improvement.

Steve.

19. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well I just tested your findings and it does not work. I waited 15 minutes and it still showed a badge on my mail app on my iPhone 5 after reading it on my Mac 10.8.2

20. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Fine, but it works for me.

Clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on iMac, clean install of iOS 6 on iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

I guess that's one of the benefits of going through the hassle of clean installs...

Steve.

21. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Very interesting. I have done clean installs on each and every Apple device I own. But I do not see these results. I do see the email read if I log into icloud.com but my iOS devices do not update w/o opening/refreshing the mail.app