Finally! Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmk229, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jmk229 macrumors member

So I have be waiting for either the MBP or MB to update before I decided to purchase one. Finally it has!

I need some advice on which one to purchase. I am going to be using it along with my iMac for music, pictures, email, skype, internet surfing, as well as working in Microsoft Office on Excel and Word for some contact work I will be doing.

I have worked out the numbers and I can get a MB (with 4GB) for roughly the same as a MBP 13" (not modified). Which one would be better?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd personally lean towards the Pro, but either will handle your needs just fine.

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Get the Pro, it's a damn nice machine. Aluminium is so much nicer than white plastic... more resilient too!

Fabian

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm in the exact same place as you OP :confused: I'm wondering just how resilient the aluminium and glass is. I've watched my plastic iBook G4 slide off beds, out of bags and out of my hands without ever worrying much. I feel like the pros would dent or *gulp* the glass could smash?

5. vegas-steven macrumors regular

Go ahead and flame me but why do you need a pro when a regular macbook would suit you and save you several hundred dollars you could use to upgrade ram etc?

You are doing casual computing tasks you mentioned on a high end machine lol!

6. JPark macrumors 6502a

He just said the MB w/ 4GB was roughly the same price as the low end 13" MBP, so how's he saving hundreds of dollars? For roughly the same price, he gets a nicer case, faster CPU, much much better GPU, and much better battery life. Seems like a no brainer.

7. JPark macrumors 6502a

OK, I just did your homework for you. At educational pricing, you're looking at $980 for the MB upgraded to 4GB RAM (4GB is definitely a good idea). For $120 more, you can get the MBP. That $120 buys you:
    -Slightly faster CPU
    -Faster GPU
    -Extra 3 hrs of battery life
    -Aluminum Enclosure
    -Backlit keyboard
    -Firewire 800
    -SD Card Slot
    -Aluminum Enclosure

I mentioned the aluminum twice because it really does make a huge difference. I just came from a plastic MB, and the aluminum wears much much better. It's coming up on it's year anniversary, and it looks almost new. One year in with my plastic MB, it looked like crap and I had already replaced the palm wrest once.

I'd say it's absolutely worth the $120. Eat Top Raman for a month and stay at home a couple of Fridays.

EDIT: Not sure why I assumed you were a student. If you're no longer a student, non-academic pricing is only $100 difference. And skip the raman. Your body probably can't take that kind of abuse anymore.

8. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

Because the difference in price is $38 CAD to me.

The MBP I am looking at:
    13" 2.4 Ghz
    4 GB Memory
    250 GB Hard Drive
    SD Card slot
    NVIDIA GeForce 320m Graphics
    for $1,174

The MB I am looking at:
    13" 2.26 Ghz
    4 GB Memory
    250 GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400m Graphics
    $1,136

You tell me what you would do? And I have no idea on graphics, which one is better?

9. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

You don't need the MBP for what you are doing, but the way you have them priced I think it would be silly not to get the it. Buy the MBP but you'll be happy either way.

10. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

The new Macbooks are really pretty poor build quality. I would go for the Pro.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

12. vegas-steven macrumors regular

That's a nice contrast to when I lived in Canada. Used to be consumer electronics were the worst exchange rate it aside from books and magazines.

If the difference is $38 then close the thread lol. It's a no Brainer

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Go with the MBP, eyes closed...

14. JPark macrumors 6502a

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yeah! My price difference is £170 :(

16. seb-opp macrumors 6502

The MBP gives you a whole lot more over the MB: FW800, SD card slot, better screen, better graphics, longer battery life and a light up keyboard.

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

as an owner of numerous polycarbonate and aluminium macs, i'd have to disagree