Finally needed to use the GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eplchamps0304, Jul 25, 2008.

1. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I was driving somewhere yesterday and had to divert of my known route because of an accident. I subsequently found myself in unfamiliar terrain. I grabbed my iphone and fired up google maps to route the rest of my jorney. I had to keep on looking at the phone and pressing the next button which was not convinient at all. I finally decided to park and memorize the directions before moving on. Without turn by turn and voice the GPS in not useful for directions. It is however useful for finding where you are and where you need to go. It would have been great if the maps would turn to the next direction automatically based on your gps movements, even without voice.

2. schatzie macrumors member

Hopefully an app for turn by turn is coming soon after 2.1 is released.

3. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

+1

I had to use it as well. Had no idea where I was going. So, Im doing like 75 on the freeway and trying to use the map at the same time. Bad call.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.. no wonder they called it iPhone3G and thank god for that.. imagine calling it iPhoneGPS.. how embarrassing it would be for them... GPS is the second most important feature in iPhone3G and they cocked it up.....

5. eplchamps0304 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

all it needs is a good 3d maps

6. jakeacc macrumors regular

You guys really shouldn't be fooling around with Google Maps while driving on the highway. You're going to kill somebody.

7. agentornge33 macrumors newbie

can't wait for a turn-by-turn navigation app to come out either but in the mean time I found that setting my directions and following the blue dot on the purple line giving directions and not using the next button but scrolling to the next area of the map works just fine...

8. cohenspire macrumors member

I've used it a few times on the road and have no issues. It's the asshats that love merging without looking and/or using a turn signal while talking on their phone.

I have never understood how people cannot multitask and be safe about it. I can read google maps, shift my car, and manage to use a turn signal and look before i merge into a lane with no issues.

9. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Wow, it's amazing how much we demand from cell phones these days. And yet I still see people who go to the cell phone shop and ask for the most basic unit they have. You know, I'm happy with Google maps on it, and I'm satisfied. It can't be the perfect everything. My TomTom does awesome for driving around, but it really sucks at browsing the web, or going over my calendar, or syncing with my computer. Not every device will be perfect. I find the iPhone to be a good GPS and it sure connects quickly.

10. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I second that. I did that frequently for the past 2 weeks.

Usually, I'd:
    -Have Google Maps locate me
    -Enter in a destination in "Directions" mode
    -Go to "Overview"
    -Hit the "Locate Me" button again to center myself in on the map
    -and have my little blue dot follow the purple route...

Not much to deal with while driving... especially if you got a wing man to help you out.

But yesterday, I was trying to find a Sam's Club and the app kept crashing.
    Trying to restart Maps time and time again could have caused a fender bender. Stupid move. Don't do it.

11. Sincereh2001 macrumors member

Needed it today when my car died in the middle of the street. Glad 3g let me talk to BMW Roadside and pull up my location at the same time, especially since I had NO idea where I was...

12. eplchamps0304 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think the folks are only demanding what is already available on other phones. I don't think that is too much to ask.