finally ordered; please help choose HD config

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by big dainjerus, Jun 5, 2008.

1. big dainjerus macrumors regular

After months and months of waiting I finally grabbed my manhood and pulled the trigger. I ordered the standard config with aperture and final cut express pre installed. I will be using this mainly for music recording (logic studio), video editing, soundtrack stuff, photo editing with PS and Aperture. I would like to have:

1)apps/system drive
    2)music and/or video projects
    3)media files/photos/itunes or samples to use for music recording
    4)backup of the first 3. (or any configuration of the above, but you get the idea). And somewhere for scratch.

I will be ordering 3rd party ram 8g total. I have 4 configurations I have narrowed it down to and please feel free to pick/and or suggest other HDs or combinations thereof:

1) WD6400aaks, Samsung 1Tb, Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb
    2) WD6400aaks, Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb, WD Green Power 1tb
    3) Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1 tb
    4) Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb, Samsung 1tb, WD Green Power 1tb

Looks like my main concerns are with the os/apps drive and the 4th back up drive.

Is it important for a back up drive to be fast? If so, looks like I will go for the samsung. But if having a slower back up drive means very little I might as well go with the GP and be green. Can someone please explain to me what the differences will be between using these two drives for back up?

Can someone please suggest a good place for scratch on the set-up?

Also, I wouldn't mind saying some money with this purchase, but not at the expense of performance. Money is really not much of an issue. So if the WDaaks and Sammy are of the same performance, I'll go for the WD, but if the sammy is better I will go for that. I am not afraid to get 4 sammys. I have looked at barefeats as well but wanted to know what everyone here thought. I am relieved after all this time I have finally ordered and I can't wait until I can start creating on it.

I owe this place a lot for teaching me a ton about computers. I thought I knew a decent amount but by hanging around this forum I have been humbled and my knowledge has increased dramatically, and I thank you for that. Thank you for your time. Can't wait!

Big Dainjerus

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If money is no object, I would get two internal 10,000 RPM drives or 15,000 RPM drives since the RAID controller card is SAS, largest at the moment I believe is 300 Gigs setup in a RAID 1 where I would install the OS. Then two more 1 TB, or largest SAS drives I could find, internal drives setup in a RAID 0 for maximum space. Then an external RAID box connected over eSATA card with five 1 TB drives setup in a 4 drive RAID 5 with a Hot Spare.

All internal drives would be connected to a Hardware RAID controller. http://www.apple.com/macpro/technology/storage.html

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I plan to put four Samsung 1TB units in mine, with the first disc set 750GB for Mac and 250GB for Vista and then the other three for data. I'll then backup to a 4TB NAS or eSATA storage unit, most likely.

4. big dainjerus thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I forgot to add that I don't really want to mess with raid or any of the faster spinning drives. Money is no object to a certain extent, taxes high here in Jersey :D