Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onair125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Torrance, CA
4.0GHz QC i7, TB up to 4.2GHz
8GB 1867MHz DDR3L (2x4GB)
1TB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB

Cost me an arm and a leg!!/$3400 but I hope it's worth it. Going to be doing a lot of VM and video editing.

I need a few recommendations:
1. Need to upgrade the memory to 32GB, which brand is best? Also, can I assume that the iMac they are sending me is the Late 2015 model (iMac17,1)? I talked to the customer service and no one seems to know anything about these version...mid2015, late2015, etc..

2. Need a keyboard with numeric, or separate numeric pad, any good wireless one out there that comes with the arrow buttons? (need these when working with Excel/Spreadsheet)

By the way.. this is my first MAC..I've been a Window user for a very long time..
I went Mac because all of the other devices I owned (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) hoping that these devices will integrate seamlessly together.

Thanks all in advance!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you get the i7 processor, then you would be getting the late 2015, no problem. The previous model was i5, 3.3 GHz only, just the one processor. So, you will be OK.

Just thought I should mention that you don't have to restrict your upgrades to "only" 32GB. The 4 slots each support up to 16GB, so 64GB is a possibility, if you really like lots of VMs and video editing, etc.
For example, you will already have 8GB, 2 x 4GB sticks. Add 2 x 16GB to that to give you a total installed 40GB.
You do have to decide if you would really need the extra RAM over 32GB. The 16GB sticks are still a little pricey. :D
DataMemorySystems is a good place to check for whatever RAM configuration you need.
Compare with Amazon here

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Congrats! I just ordered a similar machine (I got one with a 500GB SSD. I plan to buy a 3TB external drive).

I went with OWC for memory, although I originally intended to go with Crucial. When it came time to place my order, Crucial was sold out of the 32GB ram pack, so I purchased OWC memory separately.

By the way, if you get 16x2, you can keep the original 8gb in and have 40GB RAM. That's what I've done, and it's been amazing. I'm able to keep Maya, Unity, and Photoshop open at once.

I have no suggestions on the keyboard; I just use the Magic Keyboard that came in the box.

onair125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Torrance, CA

Hmmm...very interesting Keyboards...
[doublepost=1478935015][/doublepost]
Congrats! I just ordered a similar machine (I got one with a 500GB SSD. I plan to buy a 3TB external drive).

I went with OWC for memory, although I originally intended to go with Crucial. When it came time to place my order, Crucial was sold out of the 32GB ram pack, so I purchased OWC memory separately.

By the way, if you get 16x2, you can keep the original 8gb in and have 40GB RAM. That's what I've done, and it's been amazing. I'm able to keep Maya, Unity, and Photoshop open at once.

I have no suggestions on the keyboard; I just use the Magic Keyboard that came in the box.

Thanks, I went with OWC as well. 32GB. Would love to go higher but they're expensive. 32GB is where the value for the money at.
32GB = $6.25/GB
[doublepost=1478935054][/doublepost]
This isn't true

Please explain

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
This isn't true
You forgot to read what I posted.
"The previous model was i5, 3.3 GHz only, just the one processor"
Previous model is the Mid-2015, not the Late 2014.
My information was correct on that point.
Whether it is true, or not, depends on your view on life, I suppose.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
You forgot to read what I posted.
"The previous model was i5, 3.3 GHz only, just the one processor"
Previous model is the Mid-2015, not the Late 2014.
My information was correct on that point.
Whether it is true, or not, depends on your view on life, I suppose.
The mid 2015 had the same chip set as the 2014 models, just lower performance.

The higher spec i7 version was still being sold at that time, too.

And at the time, they were equally current.

I don't consider the mid 2015 as a refresh of the entire iMac line, it was merely added on to offer a low end version.

That's why I consider the late 2015 a refresh but the mid 2015 really wasn't a refresh on the entire line, IMO.

From everymac.com (reputable):

"Mid-2015 Retina 5K iMac Differences

Compared to the also offered "Late 2014" iMac models, the "Mid-2015" iMac -- the iMac "Core i5" 3.3 27-Inch -- effectively is the same, but it has a slower processor, a slower graphics processor, and a comparatively slow hard drive instead of a faster "Fusion" Drive"

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Need a keyboard with numeric, or separate numeric pad, any good wireless one out there that comes with the arrow buttons?"

My opinion only, but I'd suggest a WIRED keyboard instead.
Fewer problems.
More choices...

Reactions: jonjenkins

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
2. Need a keyboard with numeric, or separate numeric pad, any good wireless one out there that comes with the arrow buttons? (need these when working with Excel/Spreadsheet)

I absolutely hate Apple's wireless keyboard that came with my iMac. Feels tiny and I can't stand not having a number pad. I went with the Logitech K750 and loved it so much I bought another for my other Mac.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...8969526&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+keyboard+mac

Comes in both Silver and Black and as long as you can get a moderate amount of light it stays at 100% charge even after two years. My downstairs iMac doesn't get much light, but every few months I just put that keyboard near a window and let it charge back up to 100%. The upstairs keyboard gets a little more light during the day and is always at 100%. If you go this route be sure to get the Solar App from the Mac App store so that you can view your charge with just a push of a button the keyboard.

onair125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Torrance, CA
I absolutely hate Apple's wireless keyboard that came with my iMac. Feels tiny and I can't stand not having a number pad. I went with the Logitech K750 and loved it so much I bought another for my other Mac.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...8969526&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+keyboard+mac

Comes in both Silver and Black and as long as you can get a moderate amount of light it stays at 100% charge even after two years. My downstairs iMac doesn't get much light, but every few months I just put that keyboard near a window and let it charge back up to 100%. The upstairs keyboard gets a little more light during the day and is always at 100%. If you go this route be sure to get the Solar App from the Mac App store so that you can view your charge with just a push of a button the keyboard.

Hmm.. I was actually looking at this keyboard but I pulled back after reading the reviews on Amazons. Seems like a lot of people had issue with their keyboard disconnected sometimes..is this true?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have a DAS 4 Pro keyboard but what is very enoying is about every 3 to 5 reboots I have to unplug it and plug it back in on user password sign in for it to recognize the keyboard. I like the keyboard but I since pulled back out the Apple wireless and have been using that. Maybe its a Sierra thing, I figure I will pull it back out when I start gaming again. Hopefully then updates fix that issue.

Last edited:

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
If you are getting a separate keyboard you'd have to go mechanical. It's what everyone is using nowadays.

The only problem is finding one with the Mac layout can be a little difficult.

If I were getting a separate keyboard it would undoubtedly be mechanical.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
If you are getting a separate keyboard you'd have to go mechanical. It's what everyone is using nowadays.

The only problem is finding one with the Mac layout can be a little difficult.

If I were getting a separate keyboard it would undoubtedly be mechanical.

Its not that difficult to find a Mac layout on a mechanical keyboard, its more difficult to find them to function correctly with Sierra

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I second the recommendation on the Logitech Solar KB. Great KB, always stays charged even with the filtered light coming through my home office window. Zero connection issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I recommend a USB keyboard - I find it works with no fuss, especially when I dual boot into windows or OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.