Finally purchased! -- Few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TaylorJ, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TaylorJ macrumors regular

Hey guys, I finally purchased (for the first time) a MACbook pro. Havent had much time to use it. I dented the first one I got like an idiot and returned it. And the rest of the time with the new one was spent updating software and currently calibrating the battery.

I have a few questions. I didnt directly buy from apple, I bought from another store because of their financing options. So my question is does the 1 year warranty still apply to me? I didnt get an extended warranty from the store I bought from. I'm aware if you buy a MacBook from apple you get 1 year to decide if you want applecare or not, does that apply to me?

Secondly, when I download an app, at the top right corner of the desktop a mounted disk appears with the app I installed. First of all, is that what it is? A mounted disk? Secondly, what is its purpose? I usually just finishing installing the apps and then eject, is that the correct thing to do?

Finally, coming from windows I'm use to pressing X on the top right of the window, but I just figured out that in OSX it doesnt close the app, but keeps it running in the background. To quit is it Command + Q? I've been using that shortcut, but for some apps it doesnt work. So how do you quit those apps quickly and efficiently?

One more question, I looked in sys. prefs but cant find what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the windows equivalent of task manager. To see whats running at the moment and how much the cpu is being used and ram etc etc?

Thanks!

2. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

1. Yes :)
    2. Yes, the DMG file from the Internet/DVD/CD etc is a Mounted Disk Image, either use the Installer or Drag the file to the Applications Folder (or wherever) and yes it is safe to Eject the Disk Image AND delete the DMG file if you wish
    3. Since this is a 2010 MBP with 4GB RAM you needn't worry about quitting everything, but if you really feel the need, CMD+Q work perfectly fine, those that take their time are saving files etc (to Force Quit for the impatient CMD+ALT+ESC)
    4. In the Utilities Folder (Applications) use Activity Monitor, plus as a side note, you may like to use the Console (also located in the Utilities Folder)

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

welcome to the club! you're going to love your computer!
    few apps you might want to look into off the bat would be:

Caffeine: doesn't let your screen dim

smcfancontrol: lets you control the speeds of your fans so your laptop doesn't get tooooo hot in some situations.

bettertouchtool: lets you take full control of your trackpad

also download istat pro...its a dashboard widget that monitors everything you were just talking about

4. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys!

I was actually bookmarking applications I came across that I liked in the leading months before my purchase. I donwloaded camtwist, lab tick, coconut battery, smc fan control, i stat pro. I actually couldnt find a link for better touch tool, one of the apps I am looking forward too. All the links seem dead.

Also I am a huge msn user, using msn on the mac is very, very dissapointing. I hope I can find an app that fits my needs, I need to try adium + any others out there to fully judge the msn experience though.

I'm finding the resolution on the 13 inch kind of weird. Its been hurting my eyes in less than an hour of actual use. I cant get a 15 inch, this fits my needs more, is there anyway to make fonts bigger? (not zooming but resolution wise?)

Any other tips welcome =]

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, it's interesting that you say the 13" screen is hurting your eyes due to small fonts. The resolution on it is 1280X800. If the resolution were any higher the fonts would be even smaller. As far as Command + Q (Quit), it works for every application. If it's not working for every app for you then you're doing it wrong. If it's just a Finder window it will not work because you're not quitting the Finder, for that reason it's Command W (Window). Make sure that you're holding down Command and then press the Q key.

6. elleana macrumors regular

When you say weird, is it too small? I don't think 15" will help because I believe its the same dot pitch (same pixel density on both 13" and 15"). Changing the resolution is not recommended because if the screen not running at native resolution it'll look grainy/blurry.

7. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the font is too small. I can zoom some fonts like on Icaht without getting too blurry, but most webpages get too blurry when I zoom. I guess its something I have to get used to.

I just noticed a feature (I think). My mom just turned off the light behind me and the screen dimmed itself. Didnt know it had an ambient light sensor! Pretty cool. Now to turn it off lol