Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jboyd710

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Finally got my first mac, 15 inch cMBP i7 2.6, 8GB, 750HDD. I bought it slightly used off a guy. I wanted to know how this will handle a little bit of gaming, like diablo III and Starcraft II. Also what is some good apps/programs to grab for a mac? Thanks guys!

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Very good neither of this games is very demanding. They are also one of the rare ones that run well in OSX. You don't even need to boot to Windows.

Otherwise if you boot Windows the notebook is just as good as any other with the same GPU.

Just in general I think BetterTouchTool, gfxCardStatus and Alfred are what I would consider must have. They are only utility/productivity apps. For actual applications I guess it depends on what you need. I don't recommend Microsoft Office for Mac.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
On the other hand, I completely recommend Microsoft Office for Mac. iWork is better designed and has no issues but it is so outdated right now. So many things are missing. I can't really point any that I remember right now but I know that, when I used to work using Pages, per example, I spent the day Googling for simple stuff just to realise that iWork is missing such features. No issues with Microsoft Office since I installed it.

jboyd710

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for both your alls responses. I have thought about office down the road, I actually enjoy using google docs right now for some of my work. Appreciate throwing out some software to grab, I will definitely look into it!

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
My cMBP does fairly well gaming, the exception being games that I try to run in a VM or via CrossOver that are highly gfx intensive, for those I've found it best to just boot into Windows and they actually run well. Latest example of this is "The Secret World", very laggy in OS X since it's not native, but runs very well in Windows.

Diablo III plays nicely in OS X, Starcraft 2 should as well though I don't play it.

Enjoy!

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Not sure on D3, but SC2 will play just fine on it. I used to play it on an older 13in Air, so a MBP will play it MUCH better.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Very good neither of this games is very demanding. They are also one of the rare ones that run well in OSX. You don't even need to boot to Windows.

Otherwise if you boot Windows the notebook is just as good as any other with the same GPU.

Just in general I think BetterTouchTool, gfxCardStatus and Alfred are what I would consider must have. They are only utility/productivity apps. For actual applications I guess it depends on what you need. I don't recommend Microsoft Office for Mac.

Wow! I've been searching for an app that does this! Thank you!

I've downloaded Alfred, but I've never used it. I'm not sure what it does. I should look into this more.

Also, BetterTouchTool sounds like an amazing app. I might try it out sometime.

The only other app I find myself using constantly is Caffeine. If you have any other suggestions, please share! I love finding these cool utility/productivity apps.

Trubbles

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
I'm on an rMBP, which is close in spec.. I also have a 2.6 and I'm assuming 2.6 cMBP also has 1 gb video ram. The one thing you don't have is the display, which lets me play games at non-native resolutions without losing quality. I usually play at 1650x1050 (or is it 1650x1028? can't remember)

I've played a LOT of games on mine. I bought it as a portable work computer that could also handle gaming on the go, and I have really got my money out of it! I've played:

Skyrim - medium-high settings, 45-60 FPS
Diablo 3 (on Mac) - medium settings, 60 FPS
FFXIV - "Laptop(high)" settings, 30-45 FPS
GW2 - 2880x1800, medium, 50+ FPS

It doesn't come close to what a similarly priced desktop could do, but it's a nice side feature. I'm very happy with my purchase almost a year later :)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Finally got my first mac, 15 inch cMBP i7 2.6, 8GB, 750HDD. I bought it slightly used off a guy. I wanted to know how this will handle a little bit of gaming, like diablo III and Starcraft II. Also what is some good apps/programs to grab for a mac? Thanks guys!

Isn't this something you'd look into before buying?

jboyd710

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Isn't this something you'd look into before buying?

I've been looking for a mac for sometime this was a good deal and I jumped on it. I guess I was just looking to see if someone themselves could tell me how these games run on their make, being almost the same make an model.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
You have the i7 processor rather than the i5, so very well I would think. With the cMBP, you have the possibility of upgrading the RAM to 16GB if you find that you cannot run as much concurrently as you would like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.